OK, kids, I need advice on making quilted wall hangings with a little applique

I haven't done much applique, but the little I have done I have machine stitched them down with blanket stitch or blind stitch.

Plans are: I want to make some small wall hanging decorative quilts. Most of it will be pieced blocks with a little bit of applique (like a bear or a tree, etc -outdoor designs) on top of the piece. The applique pieces will be ultrasuede or similiar "fuzzy" fabic.

Since these will be decorative wall hangings and they more than likely won't be washed, is it OK to quilt the top first and then iron on the ultrasuede applique pieces afterward? I was going to use the "HeatnBond Ultrahold" to iron on the ultrasuede applique pieces. The ultrahold is extra heavy duty (no sew) so the applique edges should stay put without peeling away over time. Because I want to use the ultrahold for applique, I don't plan on machine stitching these down with a blanket stitch or blind stitch after ironing these on top of the quilt.

So, that said, is this OK or bad to iron a little applique piece on top after quilting for these little decorative wall hanging quilts? Like I said, I've not done much applique. Thanks!

Hi Shana

You should be okay with ironing the appliques on after the quilting is done, especially if the wall hangings don't get washed. I would actually look quite nice. I do alot of applique and I satinstitch my appliques on with stabilizer underneat, that keeps the spot from puckering, then I quilt around it. What you are proposing to do will work jsut fine.

Heatnbond Ultrahold is pretty strong stuff and will hold pretty good. Just be carefull not to singe the Ultrasuede, dont use steam and put a piece of cotton over the ultrasuede.

Good luck and post some pics.

Shana, good luck with this neat project. It sounds like it will be very cute. I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering about a better way to do this kind of applique, since I love to include raw-edge in my quilts too. On the donation quilt, I noticed as I quilted and quilted it the appliques lifted off the background underneath the zig-zag I put around them, which made me VERY glad for those stitches! I had meant to iron them back down before auctioning, but since I finished with NO time to spare, I completely forgot that step. I hope it won't matter! But I want to use something besides WonderUnder next time, if I can find a product that will not be too heavy or gum up my needle too much. The LQS in Sherwood had suggested Steam-a-Seam, but I was afraid to try something new on that quilt. Now I'm doing only home stuff for family I'll try some new things, so this is very helpful to me too. Thanks!

Can't wait to see your pic's, Shana! And have FUN with these!

Archived