Best cross hatching method

Hi Susan

IF the CH area is confined to an area that my straight lined ruler will fit, I will use that and use the etched lines as my spacing guide. IF I am CH'ing in an area that is larger then the space in front of me, I pre- mark and follow the lines. I would also mark any CH'ing that I use as a backround such as that around applique. Sometimes I will use a stencil, sometimes I use a long ruler. The process is subject to many scenarios which means you can legally own every tool in the industry! LOL

Hi Susan,

As Sherry mentioned, you'll discover several ways to accomplish crosshatching. Marking the quilt ahead of time is probably the most accurate, since you can precisely position each line. You'll also find several crosshatching tools on the market that have reference lines etched in to aid in crosshatching without marking the quilt. Check www.thegadgetgirls.com and www.offtheedgequilting.com for some good rulers.

Speaking as a machine quilting judge, do your best to keep the lines straight and parallel; use whatever method gives you the best results!

Dawn Cavanaugh

I am so glad that this topic came up. I am doing my second quilt with crosshatching right now. It is only in the border and the quiting was not decided till after the center part of the quilt was done. I did the marking with the quilt on the machine. There is a narrower inner border that is 1 3/4 wide. What I did was put pins into the edge of that border and maked at that interval. It did not come out perfect so I repositioned them so they were 1/16 tighter and it came out perfect. Then I used a ruler with a 45 line and marked with chalk.

With the quilting I began with straight edge about 18 inches long but it was not secure enough. I then rememebered the tool I got with the machine (yep I am a Gammill owner so different than most of you.................sorry). This tool has a curved clamp type thing that hugs the roller on the back. Then there is a straight edge about 45 inches long with a hinge so you can move it to any angle. You place it where you need it brace it and then hold it secure on the front of the machine and guide the machine along the edge. It takes a bit of practice but I finally have the hang of it. I am sure that you could order one from Gammill no matter what brand of machine you have. Here is a link to the tool that you can order:

Archived