Top thread wraps around behind hook and snarls .

Millennium just started having top thread issues after I  put in a fresh bobbin. No broken needle, no other accident. Top thread seems to go back behind hook (kind of between the two parts that look like a V) and is caught, instead of catching the bobbin thread. We have taken it apart several times to untangle and remove threads. Timing appears to be correct. Finger seems to be in the right place. What to try next??? 

Have you tried a different bobbin?  Did you confirm that the bobbin you loaded was not in the case backwards?  I would also try rethreading, because sometimes that manages to get messed up when the bobbin is changed, even though I am not doing anything with it.

Good luck, and please let us know when you figure it out.

Try cleaning the top thread tension disk to make sure nothing is stuck in there.  If you try another top thread, does it still do it?  If not, see if you have another spool of the same top thread but a different color.  If is sews well with that, it may be a spool issue.  If it is still is an issue, here are some other possibilities from Tony's tips.  I hope you fix your problem.  Best of luck.

Cagey

Take the time to go back to the thread cone, and start completely over. Be sure to "floss" the thread down into the tension disks.

The hook assembly has several locations where the needle could strike it and cause burrs. Check your machine manual appendix section for an appendix titled "Hook Maintenance" for important tips on caring for your hook assembly and retaining finger.

Just because you CAN make the quilt tight in a frame doesn’t mean you SHOULD. Keep the quilt snug—but only enough to avoid puckers on the back. Overly tight quilts on the frame increase needle flex and also flatten out the air space in the batting where the threads are supposed to meet.

Take advantage of the lifetime customer support you receive from APQS, whether you're a new owner or have been at it for 20 years. Together we'll get you back to quilting!  APQS Customer Support Line: 800.426.7233

Archived