Tension issues

Why is this happening? Occasionally I take a quilt off and find tension trouble like this. Why? I check each bobbin with the Towa tension gauge. It happens with all kinds of thread. This particular time it is So Fine in the bobbin, and King Tut on top. You're looking at the back. In one of the photos I hope to attach you can see that the stitches were fine, lousy, and then fine again. I'm in tears over this. Very frustrated!!

Hi Suzakel

Its a little hard to tell without a closer up picture, but I'd tighten up the top tension a fraction and make sure that the cone is directly under the wire thread holder at the back of the machine so that the thread is not coming off from one side of the cone easily and dragging on the other side. Make sure the top thread is threaded correctly with the three hole guide above the tensioner at the 8 oclock position.

How old is your machine and which model do you have?. Have you seen Dawn Cavanagh's instructions for cleaning out the hook assembly posted two days ago, these are very comprehensive and might help with your problem.

Best wishes

sue in Australia

Hi!

First of all, I apologize for not signing my name! It's Sue.

Second, thank you for the reminder to look at Dawn's message.

I have a Millennium that is 2.5 years old.

What I don't understand is that this doesn't happen consistently. How can it be fine for an entire pass, or only happen for a bit and then go back to being fine? That makes it difficult to diagnose or remedy the problem.

Sue (in Minnesota)

Sue,

Have you checked the thread path? Make sure your thread is all the way between your tension disc. Also check you bobbin case. Just try the drop test and see how far the bobbin case falls. It looks like your top tension needs to be tightened.

Myrna

Honestly... I have had my machine for almost two years and I cannot use King Tut thread I have never been able to get the thread right on the King Tut and the reality is right now I don't have time to figure it out. So I stick to the So Fine and Bottom Line and thats all I use because I have figured them out. and rarely do I have someone ask to use a Varigated thread, so I've been lucky on that respect! :)

Thanks to each of you for responding. I don't really know if the problem is solved or not, but after hours of ripping out bad stitching, cleaning the entire machine, bobbin case etc., and re-threading, I have requilted the "bad" areas and the quilt is finished.

I did tighten the top thread tension a bit. I'm taking a long weekend to visit my sister, so the machine and I will both have some time for attitude adjustment. :D

Thanks again!

Sue

Sue, I wish my tension problems would have been so small. You could have driven a truck under my eyelashes and an entire train down the train tracks. I cannot believe how frustrating tension issues can be. I cleaned, tightened, put silicone on the thread, recleaned, finally changed batting, that helped a lot, and talked to Myrna. That saved my sanity. One thing that was happenign to me, is that my top thread was not snuggly fit into the tension disks so it was coming out some of the time and throwing everything off. It is something I just never thought to check I assumed if it went around it went in, guess what it didn't, so try checking that too.

Hope you have a good weekend with your sis. :)

Archived