How to raise the frame

Hi Everyone. I have an older square, black frame (2006 maybe) that I got in a private sale from a friend. I notice I get a lot of backaches when working in the front and want to raise it by one hole on the leg (she was a bit shorter than I am). Could I use a car jack to lift the end of the frame without taking the head off but securing it at the opposite end? I've attached a pic of what the legs look like. I've searched the forum and saw plenty about height but not too much about the how. Thanks so much!

If you think you can lift it without bending the frame, I would say yes.  I would suggest lift it with a jack, and then set it on two jack stands before you start working on the frame.  This way the frame will not fall of the jack if you must use a lot of force to get the legs to move.  Also, put old scraps of plywood under the jack and jack stands, so it spreads the weight and does not mess up your floor.

Cagey

Hi Cagey. To me it looks like the front one just slides down much like a telescoping handle on a vacuum. It looks like the back does the same only inside the pole. The only separate piece is the one with the holes the rest is all welded together.  I was thinking of putting the jack in the center right below the "batting bar" and working both front and back at one end at the same time.

post-6040-0-95648200-1471196299_thumb.jpg

post-6040-0-29983900-1471196318_thumb.jpg

post-6040-0-79435700-1471196336_thumb.jpg

post-6040-0-22622200-1471196349_thumb.jpg

Melissa

That is pretty much how I do it. Loosen the bolts, a small jack under the side and lift just enough to get to the desired height. If I remember correctly if you want to go up an inch at a time you must alternate using the upper and lower holes. You will see once you start. Also the feet unscrew a little for levelling. No jack stands needed just take the bolts out of one leg at at time and the table will land on three legs if it slipped off the jack.

Nigel

Archived