I have an extended base for my Lucey and am using a 12" circle ruler.  Everything works fine until I get to the bottom of the motif: at this point the hopping foot is in front of the ruler and I begin to get a wobble in the line. See picture for 2nd attempt; will be unstitching again.

It seems the slanted back of the hopping foot is engaging somewhat with the circle ruler when the needle and foot are in the down position.  It's  the most awkward point of making the circle in terms of moving the machine and holding the ruler plus the ruler wants to get caught by the back of the foot shank.  I'm using regulated stitch feature by the way.

Do I need to freehand this spot in the circle?  Use unregulated stitch mode very, very slowly with the ruler?  I've looked at the other feet available and it appears they all have that slanted design.  Hartley fence would be lovely.... but not in the budget.

Any suggestions?

image.jpg

image.jpg

How thick is your circle template?  If it's 3/8" it might be just a tad too thick when you are going around the back of the hopping foot.  Loosen your grip on the circle template just a bit and kind of glide around the curve (if that make any sense at all).  Because the hopping foot isn't exactly 1/4" all the way around you sort of have to keep in mind what side you're on when using rulers . . . mumble to yourself thick side when you're on the back and thin side when you're on the very front.  Hope this helps.

Okay, have had some time to work at this: much better success this time around. I loosened my grip and concentrated more on where the stitching was going than on keeping foot flush to the template. Also it made a big difference to attach a suction cup handle- the type you can buy for rotary cutting rulers. I got way better control of the circle template/ruler, at 12" it's heavy and awkward!  Of course the thing that helps most- shocking, I know- is practice, practice, practice. Thanks again Gail, your advice was very helpful!

The standard foot which comes with our machines has an awkward bump in the back which is causing your problems. If you search out the forum you will find many people discussing the poor design of the standard foot. Recently, I see they have addressed it with a new "perfect 1/4" foot".  It is a whopping $140 for a foot I believe should have come with standard our machines beginning many, many years ago. My 2005 Mille had the standard foot; I upgraded to the new interchangeable feet which required a new shaft and foot; I had very high hopes they would have fixed the "bump". But alas, the new foot was no better than my original foot.  Ruler work is not something new so it frustrates me greatly to have this issue and to have to work around it.  http://shop.apqs.com/True-14-inch-Platform-Ruler-Foot--Stand-Up-Machines_p_129.html.

Sorry, APQS, this is something which should have been solved years ago.

I'm disappointed as well! It's not only the bump, but the front is narrower than the sides. As I recall, when we upgraded to the interchangeable feet, we were told the new standard foot was accurate. It has been a constant source of frustration when using rulers or templates. It is nearly impossible to get accurate crosshatching with the standard foot. It took me a while to figure out it was the foot causing the problem. I need to be able to do ACCURATE quilting with templates so I bought the new foot. BUT I feel like APQS should make it right for those of us who upgraded originally or at least give us a break on the new foot. Major failure, APQS.

Archived