I placed my order for a demo Millie last week with Myrna Ficken who is my regional sales rep.   However, I’m delaying delivery for the completion of my basement in the next 5-6 weeks.  What books, resources, etc. do you recommend to help me hit the ground running after the arrival of this much anticipated machine?  Thank you for any tips you would like to share. 

My best advice is to take classes from Myrna. She's the BEST teacher. 

In the mean time, I suggest scrolling through all of the posts here in this chat forum, and then go to the photos forum, and then go see the other chat forums here on the APQS site. There's a wealth of information and probably a century's worth of institutional knowledge combined on this site. 

Another thing to do is go on You Tube and just search around for beginner longarm quilting videos. Lots of great stuff out there. 

This is my opinion only.  There's so much information on you tube that I would spend my money on rulers.  I love DeLoa Jones itty bitty for SID and her curved crosshatching rulers, the boomerangs.  I use these for ruler work all the time.  So many quilters are developing their own rulers, so I wouldn't go buying until you have an idea of the designs you'll love to use.

Heidi Merrill posted a quilt with beautiful feather wreaths and I asked her how she got them so perfect.  She said she uses stencils.  So I bought feather wreath stencils and border stencils in all the different sizes they have.  Even though I freehand the feathers, I like having the shapes to use as a guide.  I use chalk and pounce them onto the quilt, only white, don't buy the blue chalk.

I bought Darlene Epp's formal feather book and absolutely love it!  All the designs are right there for me to see.  I've also bought DVDs but you have to put them into a machine and watch them.  So I wish I would've saved my money and bought the books I could flip through.  Darlene retired but Barb Mayfield, APQS rep, bought the rest of her supply, so you might be able to get this book.  DeLoa Jones has a longarm feather book and a border patrol book that I use constantly.  Simple designs that make a quilt look beautiful.  

There's a FB site called longarm accessories for sale and you can get good deals on supplies that other longarmers no longer need.

Practice drawing the same design 15 minutes a day for two weeks and it should then be in your muscle memory.  When you start to use your machine, the designs should flow freely.  If you use a practice muslin sheet, use light thread the first time, then use the same piece with darker thread, and finally add another top and keep practicing.  Then you can donate it to a shelter.  Good luck.  I love my Millie.

Archived