Pfaff Hobby 1200 Grand Quilter for sale

Hello!  I'm looking for some advice, please.  I am thinking about purchasing a used Pfaff Hobby Handiquilter 1200 + Inspira Imperial Quilt frame.  It was purchased by the original owner in 2008 so it is pretty old.  She is asking $2,200 Australian (which is about $2,700 US) However, have been told it was rarely used.  Is it worth that much? And what are some questions I need to ask.  Don't want to get saddled with a dud.  Please help!

Karole,

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.  You may get more and more constructive responses by starting your own post asking the same question.  That being said, I would compare the Hobby 1200 GrandQuilter to the APQS Lenni post; https://forum.apqs.com/topic/44411-price-reductionfor-sale-2010-apqs-lenni-longarm-machine-on-12-table-4000/   $2,700 verses $4,000.  A 9 inch throat verses a 20 inch throat.

While I am a sit-down quilter, throat space does matter.  I am not sure what Domestic Sewing Machine (DSM) presently use to sew your quilts, but take a pool noodle and stick it in the throat and see how much of a workable quilting area you will have when the quilt would be wound up on the rear bar.  The GrandQuilter is only 9 inches.  My Brother has close to 12 inches of throat space.  Three inches is huge, when you comparing 9 verses 12.  Why do you think APQS offers a 26 and 30 inch Millie?

As you are in Australia, and the used quilting market may be different than here in the U.S., I would keep shopping.  Why was is the machine you are considering rarely used?  Could it be because the quilting area was rather small coming to the end of the quilt, and the original purchaser did not enjoy that fact.  You have images of grand large flowing designs in your head, but the throat space is more suited to about a 3 to 4 inch area at the end.

I for one would suggest you put a small amount of money towards Paula Reid's old DVD Fluff and Stuff; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Fluff-Stuff-Machine-Quilting-Technique-Paula-Reid-Video-/223475621454?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=161878deb1981764aff5188b4a888b2e  Leah Day also has some great YouTube videos discussing quilting on your DSM.

While you are improving your quilting skills on your DSM, continue to save up money and shop for a true longarm quilting machine.  One that will meet your present and future quilting needs.  Most of us here are going to be partial to APQS, but there are many other good quality machines that may be more readily available in Australia.  

You can readily find used sit-down machines here with a minimum 16 throat here in the US in the $3,000 to $4,000 range.  Comparing a sit-down machine to the GrandQuilter, I believe the sit-down wins in capability and cost.  For $3,500 you could find a HandiQuilter (HQ) Sweet 16 or a clone.  A HQ Simply 16 would double the throat space of the GrandQuilter.

Contact some quilt guilds in your area.  Just like here, they probably have quilters that are slowing down, changing homes, or just selling their machines.  You can test them out, and buy what is best for you.  If Australia is anything like the U.S., there will be a machine available in the next few months.  Don't give in to the $2,200 AU trying to burn a hole in your pocket.  Give it time.  Wait for the right machine to turn up.  

Best of luck to you.

Cagey

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Pfaff grand quilter with extension base , roller base....many bobbins and needles and service kit...the quilt speed control and guide...and foot control with knee lift...I will take $600.00 for everything.  Original box and manual.

Edited by John Roy

1 hour ago, John Roy said:

I have a Pfaff grand quilter with extension base , roller base....many bobbins and needles and service kit...the quilt speed control and guide...and foot control with knee lift...I will take $600.00 for everything.  Original box and manual.

John - you may want to create a new listing for your item instead of adding this to the end of a listing originally posted more than 2 years ago.  It's also helpful if you include photos, your location and any shipping/delivery options.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 10:16 AM, Patty sanders said:

There is nobody in my area that services the phaff sewing machine. Can you tell me what tension you use for top quilting please. I’ve had the machine for about three years and it was preowned. Everything started working just fine and then all of a sudden I can’t get the tension right. I have bought king tut thread in superior and it just seems like it just doesn’t want to take any thread now it breaks thread off within 3 inches of quilting. I would appreciate any Suggestions you can offer.

I hope you got your tension worked out (keep testing - start with the bobbin, which might need a micro-adjustment). If your King Tut is on the spool, use a horizontal spool mount; that helped tremendously. My machine has same symptoms, which in the past was from a barb on the hook (was repaired but symptom recurred after a while). A technician told me this machine has a "tight clearance" for needle and thread. I can run 50 wt thread without breakage, but 40 wt results in shredding - but only in one particular direction when FMQ (no problems otherwise). Going to a different technician for 2nd opinion. If I need to replace the hook, it would be worth it. This machine has been trusty! Lately I've been running 50-60 wt thread in the bobbin and 50 wt on top. I can usually run 40 wt on top if I have 60 wt in the bobbin and keep the speed slow (and size 90/14 needle) and don't go "backwards" when FMQ. I tension test every time I change any variable.

• 11 months later...

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter Hobby 1200 in excellent condition. I just paid $200.00 to have it serviced. (I have receipt). I bought it from someone who bought it and ever used it. It was part of a quilting unit---it came with a 10 foot Inspira frame and QBot (generation 1).  The QBot came with the red box Cruise Control. After purchasing the unit I spent another $200 purchasing bobbins, the owners manual (for the Pfaff-I purchased 2 manuals), the foot control pedal and Free Motion Quilting Darning Foot -MetalAs it turns out, this is not what I was looking for as I want to quilt edge to edge and this generation of Q-Bot will not do this. I will have to spend $900 to get the newer updated QBot V3 to quilt edge to edge. I will sell the entire system for $1,000.00--buyer pays shipping. I have photos which I will post to interested party. I am located near Portland Oregon.  Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 11:10 AM, Evan duke said:

I am selling one only used 6 times. Was my sisters. Have quilting designs galore, long arm frame that's metal to stand, cover and all accessories. Manual too. Will ship or pick up in Scottsdale. Outstanding machine with long neck. Perfect to quilt. I have feet, bobbins and so much more. $1200 or best offer if you are looking for a like new machine original owner this is it. Can send more pics. Quilt frame is metal. It's disassembled inside factory box. Purchased new $6,000 plus all the quilt designs were additional $1200. Great deal. 

IMG_4052.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

Is this still available