SOLD - 2008 Lenni For Sale

Original Owner of 2008 Lenni with 10 foot table.  Asking $3800.  Seller will disassemble.  No shipping.  Original box for machine head.  Includes Bobbin Winder and Original Owner Manual.  $300 in extras included - Hartley Expander Base, Vertical Cone Holder, 12 Pantos. No Warranty.  Prefer prospective buyer visit to test drive before purchase.  Located in Harrisburg NC outside of Charlotte NC.  Message me if interested.  Personal use in smoke free home.   Mary.  

Lenni1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary.   I am a brand new to longarm quilting.  Just took my first class 2 weeks ago.  I will be in Charlotte in a couple of weeks.   My daughter lives in kannapolis and my son in concord.   I might be interested, but not 100% sure.  I just do not know how much Room it takes up.   The machine I used in class was a millennium and that was quite large.   I am taking a second class on sept 5th. So we will see.  Before I leave for Charlotte, I will check back and see if the machine is still available.  I took the longarm class because all of the quilters with experience in my area are really booked up. So it is very hard to get a quilt/ project quilted.  It takes months.    So I thought I could learn how to do this.    Cindy. 

Please PM me your phone number if you want pictures.  I have the machine in a space that is 11 feet by 7.5 feet.  This gives me plenty of room to work from the front and back and get around on one side.  You only need clearance on one end of the 10 foot length.  I have mine on a wood floor with felt on the bottom of the legs.  I can slide it close to the wall if I need the room for something else.  The machine is 10 feet long by about 45 inches wide.  There is enough room under the machine to hold my entire fabric stash in plastic bins.  It is so nice to be able to load the quilt when I want and walk away when I want.  I used to quilt about an hour each morning before going to work.  Thanks for your interest.  

It is still for sale.  My husband bought me a new Lenni with Quilt Path and a longer table.  I thought I could keep both machines but I just don't have quite enough room.  It has a stitch regulator.  I really enjoyed using this machine.  Not to big, not too small. 

• Brenni changed the title to SOLD - 2008 Lenni For Sale
  • 3 months later...

Hi Brenni,

I see that you sold a Lenni machine and that you bought another one.  Will you please share your thoughts about Lenni?  I have a George and now I’m thinking about buying a stand-up longarm machine.  

What is the largest quilt that you have quilted with it?

Have you encountered a problem with the quilt-able space when you quilt a long quilt such as an XL twin size?  

Did you order the Bliss system on your new Lenni?  If so, then please comment about your likes and dislikes about it.  

Have you encountered any limitations?  If so, then please elaborate.

Thank you!

Jill M

Jill:  Brenni hasn't visited this sight since she sold her Lenni, so you might not get a reply from her anytime soon.  I have a tricked out Ult 2 which isn't exactly the same as a Lenni, but they share the same basic sewing head, as does your George.  This one had a 10' table which is a bit unusual.  Most have 12' tables.  Unless you absolutely can't fit a 12 footer in, or you can make a great buy on one like this, I'd recommend you buy 12', not the 10'.

As far as quilt size goes.  This 10' table should have been able to handle a quilt up to about 100 inches wide.  You reference an "XL twin" as an example.  I'd remind you that you could easily orient such as quilt on your leaders so that it could be any length you'd like.  The only size that would be an issue would be a quilt that is more than 100 inches in both width and length.  A pretty good size king.

The quilting field on my Ult 2 is about 14" wide.  I think the factory Lenni's are a little bit less - 12.5" to 13.5" or so.  As for frame  quilting compared to a sit down quilting, it pretty much is an issue of standing or sitting (although a rolling saddle stool will let you sit and quilt on the frame).  If you don't like to stand the Lenni might not be the right choice.  On the other hand if you're tired of wrestling with the quilt to do free motion quilting, then you'll probably love Lenni.

What type roller system you buy is purely a matter of choice.  Wheels or wheels and linear bearings.  I find nothing wrong with all wheels, others seem to really value the linear bearings.  It's only a matter of your willingness to pay for the bearings.  The linear bearings are better, not worth it to me, but obviously worth it to some others.

I must emphasize, my Ult 2 is custom made for me, so it really suits my desires, as such a Lenni might not suit me as well, but I am very happy with it.  I sometimes think I'd like it better if it were bigger, and then other times am happy it is the size it is.  I guess that's really an issue of speed of production.  There's nothing that can be done a bigger machine that can't be done (maybe there is - wide pantos) on a Lenni.  It just might take a bit more time to do it.  Whether you should go from George to Lenni, is a matter of standing vs sitting, and wrestling vs freely moving the machine.  Hope this helps.  Jim

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for giving me a detailed explanation.  It was very helpful.

My question about the XL Twin is regarding the amount of quilting field that is lost as the quilted quilt is rolled up.  FWIW, I live in a warm climate, so I use thin batting.  My favorite is 100% bamboo by Winline textiles, so my quilts will not be as bulky as they would be with a thicker or more puffy batting.  

Most of the quilts that I make are about 60 x 72".  I have pieced one king size quilt, and I didn't think that i would ever finish it.  I would like the ability to quilt a queen size,  but I would be willing to pay someone to quilt a king size.

I have 13' 7" of available space along one wall.  But, there is a closet on an adjoining wall, so the louvered doors would reduce the available space to 12' 8" when they are open.   I don't want to block access to that closet.   Would a 12' frame work in that space and still allow me to maneuver around it?   A 10 foot frame would fit the space better.  

I would like to have a stitch regulator and the ability to layer my quilts on a roller system.  I enjoy ruler work, and I suspect that method would be easier with a stand up system.  I enjoy custom quilting, but I would like to have the option to use a pantograph.  A friend told me that Lenni would not allow me the ability to quilt a 12" block on point.  My response was that I would not make quilts with that design if that is a limitation of the machine.   I just don't want to end up with too little quilt-able space as the quilt is rolled up.

Many people rave about the Bliss system on the forum, but I'm concerned that it might cause the machine to move too easily for me.  I visited a Handiquilter dealer before I purchased George, and I tested their Simply Sixteen machine on their Little Foot Frame.  That machine moved far too easily for me.  It was so sensitive that  I think that it would have moved if I blew on it.  I am under the impression that the Bliss system isn't needed with Lenni because it isn't as heavy as the larger machines, but  I don't know if that assumption is correct.

Jill

Now having the Bliss system, it would be hard to go back.  It really is a game changer.  Smooth movements.  I always stop needle down.  I have not noticed a sensitivity issue.  I actually quilted a small king size quilt with no problem by turning it 90 degrees.  Queen size quilts are easy.  I have quilted long twins and the rollup did not cause me any issues.  You lose a little space towards the end but it was not something I remember as horrible.   I bought another Lenni because the first one served me well.  The new Lenni gets the job done.  I wanted a longer table. I quilt a lot of baby size quilts and the new length allows me to load three at a time.   The new Lenni design gives more quilting space.  So with a new Lenni you are gaining quilt space.  When thinking about the table length, you only need a few inches on one end of the table.  You just need space on the other side to move from the front to the backside.   I actually read the forum all the time.  I just don't sign on.  I got your notice Tuesday night but that pesky day job of mine takes a bit of my time.  Oh - a great new feature of the new Lenni is the lighting underneath the arm. If anyone asks, I always recommend the Lenni.  It is not too much, not too little, but just right.  

Hi Brenni,

Thank you for answering my questions.  I didn't realize that there was a design change and that the new Lenni gives more quilting space than the older model.  Do you know which model year the change was made?  You put my mind at ease with ordering Lenni and having the Bliss system added.  I hope to find a gently used one that is within driving distance, but the current sale on refurbished machines is tempting me to buy a new one.  

Do you have the small bobbin or the large one?

Jill

Jill:  A 12' frame would be a tight fit.  I just measured my Ult 2 frame, and it's 12'7" or 12' 8".  Since my table is custom built, it may be longer or shorter than a standard Lenni. (probably a little longer)  Tight to the wall on one end would let you get around it, but it wouldn't be roomy by any means.

As you roll the quilt sandwich up, your sewing field does get smaller.  I think mine is probably 1.5" narrower at the end of a king size quilt than at the beginning.  Not a big issue, unless you're quilting large pantos.  As for on point blocks, a 12" block is too big for Lenni to quilt without rolling the quilt.  You'd need a 17" sewing field (almost all of what a Millie offers) to do the entire block.  However, I've found most designs can be broken down into smaller segments, and done in pieces.  Like I said before, it can be done, it just takes more effort.

As for bobbin size, if you have the option, by all means get the M bobbin, not the L.  The larger bobbin really does make life easier.  I converted my Ult 2 to an M bobbin a few months after I got her, and consider that one of the most important up-grades I've made.  In my experience, most tension issues begin with bobbin changes.  The M bobbin holds twice the thread the L bobbin holds.  Half as many changes, half as may tension issues.  Good luck.  Jim 

Thanks Jim for the added info.  I have looked at all of my options for where to put it in my house, and a 10 foot frame is the one that I should get.  A 12 foot frame is simply too big for my house, and it suits my quilting needs.  I'm even considering the 8 foot frame since most of my quilts are 60 x 72

I've read that the M bobbin causes more tension problems than the L, but you have had the opposite experience with it.  I use Bottom Line thread in the bobbin, so does that affect which bobbin I should get?  I like the idea of fewer bobbin changes. 

Brenni,  I'm curious to know how the 2019 model increased the quilting field as compared to earlier models.  What is the maximum depth that you are able to quilt? 

Jill

Jill:  I use Bottom Line thread in my bobbins all most exclusively.  I love it.  What your read about M bobbins creating more tension problems than L is probably opinions of L system owners who have never actually quilted with M's.  I've used both, and can assure you that the M system is the way to go.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that APQS changed the take-up roller and leveling roller configuration so that they are closer together so they don't take up as much room in the Lenni's arm.  When I built my table, I purposely put the two rollers as close together  as I felt I could without creating a problem with capacity on the take up roller.  I felt there was wasted space with the factory configuration.  As a result, I think I have 1.5 - 2.0 inches more sewing field than the older Lenni's.

As for table size:  I'd urge you to buy as large a table as you can fit into the space you have.  If you don't, someday you'll regret it.  Jim

I'm going to jump in here, Jill you won't be sorry if you go with the 12 ft table, I promise.  After spending the $$$ for a long arm it's hard to justify sending out the larger occasional quilt you MIGHT want to do.  If I had a tight space I would consider getting casters so I easily move my LA to accommodate available space. When is use you could pull it out and when not in use you could push it back against the wall out of the way. Anyway, that's my opinion--and I love my Lenni!

Sharon