2003 Millie - L bobbin to M bobbin conversion

• 6 months later...

Sheltie:  I think you're confusing it with some other up-grade.  All you need is the appropriate M hook, M bobbin case, and M bobbin basket retaining "finger".  Then it's just a matter of replacing the old L hook with the M, adjusting the needle bar height for the larger hook, and timing the machine.  Jim

Just checked the  APQS  store for parts, and found the following:  M hook:  $215.  M bobbin case:  $54.  M bobbin:  $3, and M finger:  $15.  That's $287 total for the parts.  Then it's just a matter of replacing the old parts with the new, and adjusting the machine to make them work.  Jim

Got this reply back when I asked.  "With the age of your machine and the style of gearbox, it is not recommended to use the bigger bobbin. The hook size is much heavier and the bobbin only holds ½ more bobbin and the gearbox shaft wasn’t designed to hold that size of bobbin"

I may still try it in the future but for now will stick with the L size. Unless someone else tries it first and it works for them.

I don't want to argue with the folks at the factory but, I have a 1997 Ult 2 that I converted to M hook nine years ago without any apparent problems.  Now maybe quilting only 500 quilts on it since the modification isn't heavy enough usage to reveal a future problem I will have, but I'm not worried.  I can't believe that my gear box is heavier than your Millie's, so unless the gear boxes are in fact different, I'd take the chance.  Jim

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a used 2023 Millie that I just purchased from APQS.  It is still in the boxes and waiting for the set up to be done by a qualified person.  I was surprised to see an "L" style bobbin in the machine.  Not only was I surprised but disappointed!  My Baby Lock Accomplish takes this bobbin for bag making!  I don't mind changing the bobbin for that task.

I was told that the "L" style bobbin has a better stitch quality and better tension.  That "L: bobbin is only 2/3rd of capacity then the "M".  Is it worth getting the conversion done?  By worth it, I mean will I have any problems due to the conversion and will it in fact affect the stitch quality and tension?  As users, I am hoping you can answer these questions.

I think the conversion is definately worth it!  Even if you don't mind the inconvience of more frequent (in my experience the "L" bobbin is closer to half the "M" capacity thean 2/3) bobbin changes,  most of the tension issues I've had, began as a result of a bobbin change.

Having both L and M bobin systems on my Ult 2, I can say from expierence, there is no difference in stitch quality.  I built my own conversion 14 years ago, and it took me a while to get it "dialed in".  Since APQS now has all the parts, and I'm sure great instructions for the conversion, I would expect no problems with the switch.  I'd urge you to do it.  If you don't, every time you change the L bobbin you'll wish you had.  Jim