needles apqs 3.5

I have purchases APQS needles 3.5 at the MQS last week. Normally I am using 4.0, but I liked the smaller ones, for finer work.

After breaking two, I found out that the screw which tightens the needle was coming loose all the time, which made the needle fall, and break, even when moving slow, after 2 or 3 inches, the needle was falling out, the screw was loosened.

I compared the shanks of the needles 3.5 with the 4.0, and it seems that the shanks of 3.5 are smaller than the 4.0, which explains why the needle wouldn't be held by the screw - the screw just cannot go any further, but it seems not far down enough to hold the shank of the 3.5.

Which of you has the same problem, and what can I do about it, because in the future I would like to try the 3.0 and even the 2.5 for much smaller quilting too.

Hope you can help me!

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

The Netherlands, Europe

Guest Linda S

Sylvia - I think someone must have sold you the wrong size needles. I use size 16 or 3.5 needles all the time, and the shank is the same as the size 18 or 4.0 needles. I used to get my needles at Columbia River Quilting supply and Dan would always make sure I got the right ones for my machine. I don't know if they will keep the business open now that Dan has passed.

Linda

Make sure you are using a longer-handled screwdriver when installing your needle - you will get more torque on the screw, thus tightening it more than you would with a short-handled screwdriver. You could try screwing the needlebar screw all the way in to clean out the threads of the screw hole....also, using the other side of the needlebar could help if the threads are stripped in the side you are currently using.

If you have any problems, please let me know!!

I was gonna say exactly what Amy said above about using a longer screwdriver to really crank that screw down nice and tight. I was having the same exact problem you were having, Sylvia, with the needle falling out. I was using a little screw driver. I figured out the problem after the 2nd or 3rd needle coming loose. Now I don't have problems with that needle falling out because I use the longer screwdriver now.

Archived