I really want to buy a quality long arm, not a mistake I’ll be selling in a year or two…

Jatraynor

After 6 years of quilting, I plan to invest in a long arm.  I’ve visited many brand sites, and talked to some owners.  I’m thinking Gammill, Nolting, APQS or Innova.  One guild member recommended an A1, but the website looks a bit sketchy to me…space is not an issue, I eventually may want to longarm as a business and I definitely want a bigger throat and computerization.  

If anybody has recently purchased a long arm and has any advice, please share.

All of the brands that you mention are reputable.  The best thing you could do is to check to see if there are any large quilt shows scheduled in your area where you could go and try the different machines.  It is a little like buying a car, one make and model doesn't fit everyone.  APQS has road shows in various parts of the country and they are a good place to start.  I don't know if the other companies do anything similar.  It is a good idea to stick with a company that produces purpose built industrial machines and has been in the business for a long time.  There are lots of machines out there that are just little more than a stretched version of a DSM.  Buyer beware!

Check if you are able to do the maintenance yourself or if the machine has to be shipped back to the factory?  Is telephone support available?  Is there any training offered when you buy the machine?  Think carefully about the throat size.  There often seem to be quite a number of smaller machines for sale as owners decide that they would prefer a machine with a larger throat.

Have you checked out the APQS demo machines?  They come available occasionally and are a good deal.  I bought my Millie during a demo sale and have been very happy with it.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.

All five you mention are good industrial quality machines.  APQS, Gammill and Innova have their own robot systems.  I think A-1 and Nolting use Kasa Engineering's IntelliQuilt system.  Something to think about.

Let me preface what I have to say by saying I have not studied the features closely in about 5 years, so some of what I say may no longer be accurate. While the primary features of all these machines are pretty much the same, there are little differences that can affect how happy you will be when using each.  Bobbin size is one.  All offer M size bobbins, but a couple still offer L size.  Personally, I would not consider an L, but some folks love them. 

All of the top of the line models have high quality robust tables, but the features from company to company do differ. Here's where there is probably more differences than any other aspect of the quilting systems.  Batting access is one item.  Innova, Nolting, and A-1 offer roller lift systems that allow you to access the batting as you go.  APQS does not, and Gammill's system is a joke as far as I'm concerned.  At least one (Innova) has gas strut assisted lift assembly to reduce the lift effort.  I think only APQS and A-1 offer power advance and retreat.  I'm not sure all of these manufacturers offer power lift features or not.  Take up roller structures also differ.  APQS an Innova have dual rollers so that no adjustment of take-up roller height is necessary.  I think both Gammill and A-1 have single adjusting wheels for raising the take-up roller, while you have to adjust both ends of the Nolting roller.

What you plan to do with the machine has a lot to do with the items you find most necessary.  Robot use may value some features (M bobbin for instance) differently than hand guided.  Edge to edge is different than custom work.  If you plan to do robotic quilting, then the features of the robot system itself, and the ease of use becomes very important.

Finally, support is important.  I think all five company's support their product well.  I personally only have experience with APQS, and Gammill, both of which have been very good.  If you study each system carefully, and pick the features that fit your type quilting, a quilting system from any one of these companies will serve you well.  Start thinking about important aspects of your planned quilting, and study how the different machines support your "style".  Careful consideration of this should help you choose properly.  Good luck.  Jim 

• 8 months later...