Thread drag coming off spool

When I use my So Fine variegated thread, I get a lot of thread breakage.  It seems to occur when the thread is coming off the bottom of the spool, as if the thread gets caught up down there and won't unwind well.   The cone shape is a little different that my glide cones.  Would a horizontal thread cone holder help?  Or am I totally off base as to why this is happening?   If I stand behind the machine and gently "help" the thread along, everything goes fine. Any help would be appreciated.  I would like to use more variegated thread and I have a number of spools of So Fine.

thanks, Nancy

Cross wound spools should have the thread pull off the top. Straight wound spools should have thread pull off the side of the spool. Have you tried a thread net?  Or possibly silicone thread conditioner like Sewers Aid?  

If you’re on a longarm machine, stick a small piece of batting in the first thread guide above your spool.  It shouldn’t be tight - just to take up some space so the thread can’t jump around in that guide. 

Sue

• 10 months later...

I just tried to use a spool of YLI variegated machine quilting thread, and I'm having the same problem as Nancy 13 - except that my spool is straight wound, and the friction caused by hitting the spool as it comes off is causing added tension, which is resulting in the thread twisting, and then breaking.  I can't think of a way to put a horizontal pin on the machine so I can use this thread.  Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.  Thread nets and silicone made no difference - the thread NEEDS to come off the side of the spool.

Cheri-007

There is a horizontal spool pin set up available from APQS. It mounts on the top of the machine towards the front. I'm not sure if anyone has discovered a free work around, but at the very least, the part is available should you choose to purchase it

https://shop.apqs.com/products/product-3016-01-horizontal-dual-spool-holder-by-hartley-mfg.asp

Or you could make your own with some narrow elastic, a chopstick and a couple of rubber bands.  

Put the chopstick on the top of the machine (perpendicular) and use a loop of elastic long enough to go over one end of the chopstick, under the machine and then over the other end of the chopstick.  (Now your chopstick is on top of your machine and won't fall off.)  Wrap a rubber band near the elastic on the side where your spool goes. Slide your spool on.  Wrap another rubber band on the end of the chopstick.  Voila!  Potentially free spool holder.  (The rubber bands keep the spool from shifting on the chop stick or sliding off the end.)

I'll see if I can find a picture to post.  

IMG_2341.jpeg

On 5/9/2023 at 11:35 AM, SueD said:

Or you could make your own with some narrow elastic, a chopstick and a couple of rubber bands.  

Put the chopstick on the top of the machine (perpendicular) and use a loop of elastic long enough to go over one end of the chopstick, under the machine and then over the other end of the chopstick.  (Now your chopstick is on top of your machine and won't fall off.)  Wrap a rubber band near the elastic on the side where your spool goes. Slide your spool on.  Wrap another rubber band on the end of the chopstick.  Voila!  Potentially free spool holder.  (The rubber bands keep the spool from shifting on the chop stick or sliding off the end.)

I'll see if I can find a picture to post.  

IMG_2341.jpeg

Brilliant!

On 5/14/2023 at 11:05 AM, chrissiequilter said:

Brilliant!

I'm all about doing it on the cheap.  I made long side clamps instead of buying the red snapper ones.  I got some free paint stir sticks (2 for each side) and stapled some rubbery shelf liner on them.  (The sticks are like the outside covers of a book and the liner is the binding and inside covers.) I fold it in half and sandwich the quilt between the liner and sticks and clamp it on with the machine clamps.  I have more even side tension that way rather than just where the clamps normally would go on the fabric.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 10:38 AM, SueD said:

I'm all about doing it on the cheap.  I made long side clamps instead of buying the red snapper ones.  I got some free paint stir sticks (2 for each side) and stapled some rubbery shelf liner on them.  (The sticks are like the outside covers of a book and the liner is the binding and inside covers.) I fold it in half and sandwich the quilt between the liner and sticks and clamp it on with the machine clamps.  I have more even side tension that way rather than just where the clamps normally would go on the fabric.  ;)

Another brilliant idea!!