Mono thread?

Missy_S

Have any of you ever used Mono thread? I have a quilt that I'm getting ready to work on and I would have to change thread about a million times and I'm thinking Mono may be easier. I've used it on my regular machine but just wanted to see if anyone has tried it and had any comments.

Thanks,

Missy

Hi Missy,

I love MonoPoly and it works well with our machines. Do a search and you will find pages of posts about threading and tension. Also, a BottomLine or Sewfine in a neutral cream or taupe works great as they are so fine they melt into the top and all you see is texture. Good luck and go for it!

Linda R

Missy,

You can use the monofilament (invisible) thread without much problem. You'll find several brands of invisible polyester and invisible nylon threads on the market. Each has advantages and disadvantages. See pp 100-101 in your manual for a thorough description.

You'll need to make a few tension adjustments when you use it. If you are using it on the top, thread it through to the eye of the needle. You'll loosen the top tension considerably, perhaps two complete revolutions or even more. To check if it's "about right", after you've loosened the tension, pull on the tail of thread coming from the needle, then release it. If the thread looks like a corkscrew, loosen the tension even more.

Your goal is to get the invisible thread to behave like regular thread, and not "stretch" as it passes through the tension disks.

If you are using it in the bobbin, loosen the tension on your turbo winder quite a bit as well before winding. Also, let the bobbin wind only half full to keep the thread from stretching.

Once you've got the bobbin in the case, check it the same way as you did the top thread--tug on the tail and release the thread. Corkscrew? Loosen the bobbin case tension. (If you discover that you like using invisible thread, then consider buying an extra bobbin case at some point, and then set it permanently for that thread.)

You can use the thread in the top, in the bottom, and/or in both places. Check the way that the spool is wound--some spools like Superior's Mono Poly are "stack wound" and might feed better on a horizontal spool holder. That doesn't mean it won't work on the rear spool holder--you just might experience some kinking and twisting since the thread will tend to spiral off the cone.

I use it like you are suggesting, when changing thread colors is impractical. I also use it to go in and around hand applique, outline primitive "blanket stitch" applique, outline machine applique, stitch in and around red work, cross stitch, T shirt quilts, stitch in the ditch, couch thread, etc. In other words, I personally find it a valuable "tool" to have.

If you have any trouble using it, let us know. You'll be fine!

Dawn

Thanks guys. I do have a small spool of mono thread that I'll start with and see how that works out. I just hate having to change thread as much as I would have to with this quilt.

I'll give it a whirl and let ya know how it goes!

If you use nylon or spun poly (MonoPoly) you may have a problem with your pigtail guides. The thread will wear a groove in the pigtails and cause snagging and breakage with regular threads. Pigtails are inexpensive and you may want to order a set to switch out after finishing with the mono. Keep the grooved ones separate to use only with the mono threads and you will be good to go!

Linda Rech

I use Madeira Monofil for much of the SID work, especially around applique. It is a nylon but I have quilts that have been loved hard and washed/dried frequently with no adverse signs from the nylon monofilament. I have not had any problems with yellowing, brittleness, breaking or cutting as is often described as possibilities when using nylon thread. However, the Madeira is SUPER fine. It is as fine if not finer than the Superior Poly and it appears to have less reflective quality which is why I love the stuff.

Hold up a spool of each type to one another and you will notice that the Superior Poly appears much shinier and more silver in appearance than the Monofil which is duller in color and shine. The Madeira ran beautifully in my Gammill (which can be finicky about specialty threads) and continues to run beautifully on my A-1.

I don't care to match slippery threads with slippery threads due to issues with securing a start/stop. So I don't ever use monofilament thread in my bobbin. Besides, I can't imagine trying to figure out if I have an invisible thread caught up in my bobbin works. My eyes just aren't that good these days.;)

So I use either a cotton or polyester bobbin thread. I prefer cotton because if there is a possibilty of the monofilament ever cutting the fabric (which I question if it ever would), then the cotton would likely degrade thereby releasing the monofilament before it ever gets to that point. However, for heavy use quilts like dorm quilts, I would probably use an all-purpose polyester in the bobbin due to its strength properties. (I do a little SID on every quilt, even most panto quilts. To me, it adds a crispness to the piecing that is necessary for a clean look.)

Yes, grooves can occur with a lot of use of this type of thread. This can also happen with your colored polyester threads as well. You can stretch the life of your pigtails by having some emery cord on hand. Thread it through the pigtail and rub it around the inside of the loop a bit. You can get a packet of varying sizes of these stuff from KingsMen Supply or Quilttech.com. (I can't remember who carries it. Sorry.)

Christine Olson

Guest Linda S

Another fan of Superior MonoPoly here! I use it a lot. Especially on things like T-shirt Quilts where the customer doesn't want to see a lot of thread. Works great (less filling ;) ).

Linda

Archived