Inquiry: how to quilt top design differently from bottom piece?

Hi everyone,

I am new to quilting and wanted to know how you make a quilt with a top quilting design that is different from the bottom quilting design. 

I was thinking of getting the top piece and batting and quilting that separately, then quilting the bottom piece with its own batting separately.

I'm concerned about the two layers of batting moving in between so I am considering using adhesive spray to stick the top and bottom pieces together. Then finally finishing off with binding.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on how this project might work best. 

Thank you for any information :).

The adhesive is only going to hold the two separately quilted layers together for a short time; then the only thing holding them together will be the binding.  The added stress on the binding will shorten it's lifespan as well.  You would be better off to make two quilts.  Not sure why you want to do this.

My first question is Why??  

The purpose of quilting the top/batting/backing together is to secure all of the layers together to prevent them them from shifting independently.  

If you use a permanent adhesive, who wants that much glue in the middle of their quilt?  

If you only use something temporary, the end result is a giant pillow cover, not a quilt.  If it's a quilt that will be used & washed, this will make the quilt wear out more quickly.  The middle layers are rubbing freely against each other.  A quilt with 4"-12" between quilting doesn't slide around much when used or washed.