What can throw off the timing?

I was quilting my first small quilt on my Lenni, and 80% through it, the machine stopped and the needle wouldn't come up.  With everything shut down I checked it out, and the timing was completely off -- the needle was hitting the bobbin case.  Up to that point, it was sewing quite nicely.  After watching the video several times, I got it retimed.  I started to finish the quilt, and within 10 minutes, I heard weird sounds.  I unthreaded, and sure enough, the mechanism had started to move out of alignment again, and was moments away from another jam up.  What could be happening? 

As I understand it, there usually needs to be some event (hitting a ruler with the needle, needle jams, getting a rag sucked into the bobbin area while cleaning) that requires a machine to be retimed.  They shouldn't just "drift" into bad timing.  You say it's your first quilt - not sure if the machine is brand new, but if so, that should definitely not happen.  

I'd suggest contacting APQS for help if you've already retimed it once using their instructions/videos.  They are very helpful even if you aren't the original owner with a warranty.

It sounds like the hook is not clamping down tight enough to keep it aligned.  When you re-time, be sure to tighten all (2 or 3, probably 3) screws well.  After you tighten it down, try and turn the hook by hand while keeping the machine mechanism from turning.  If you are able to turn the hook, without the machine turning, then you're not getting the hook screws tight enough.  You may need to remove the hook itself and examine it for defects.  My original hook had a burr on one of the hook screw holes which made adjustment difficult.  I removed the burr, with a file, and after that I had no further problems with adjustments.  Jim

Thanks for the advice.  The machine is new - I got it at the very end of 2022, and have only played on it a little until now. ( I had an HQ16 before this one, so I'm not new to quilting.)    I didn't think the timing should go out without a needle break either -- but it did!  And now, it won't stay timed.  I've retimed, cleaned up the shaft again, and tightened screws as far as they will tighten.  The hook cannot be moved manually -- however, 1-2 minutes into quilting, it somehow shifts, and the timing is once again completely off.  This has happened 4 times.   Jim, I don't know how you detected a burr on a screw hole!   --- and how did you get in there to remove it without messing up the threads?  I'd like to think something like that would fix my issues once & for all.  I'll be calling the service department -- after the holiday break.   Thanks again, y'all.

I removed the hook assembly, and looking through the shaft hole, I could see a burr.  It was metal left over from tapping one of the attachment screw holes.  In my case the problem showed up when I tried to remove the hook.  I couldn't get the hook to slide off the hook shaft.  Had to resort to using a small hammer to tap it off.  the burr had embedded itself in the hook shaft.  It doesn't sound like you have a burr problem.

Have you checked the tightness of the toothed timing belt?  It sounds like there may be slop in it.  Maybe there is something wrong with that belt itself.   Jim

I did file down burrs on the shaft, as shown in the timing video, and the hook assembly is on quite tight.   I'm thinking now that the belt might be the issue.  I'll be calling the service dept. today --- hopefully, they will have some answers!  Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...