Its not a pony clamp

I have a cheaper (about 6 dollars) and really easy solution to the clamps--thanks to Dawn. Go to your local fabric store and buy some no-roll elastic to fit the slots on your machine (take one of your clamps with you or measure the width). Buy the elastic long enough to do a few inches longer than will reach the smallest quilt that you will accept for all four places where your clamps fit in then double that amount. I substitute the elastic for the the clamps and use large safety pins to pin the elastic to the quilt backing instead of using clamps. Since I have double the length I can put 4 attatchments on each side instead of two if needed.

This results in a flat quilting space with hardly any interference from the old clamps. I found that the clamps add lots of weight that distorts the quilt. They also just plain get in the way. Another advantage to the extra long elastic is that if you forget to unpin the end attached to the quilt you can loosen the fitting and have no problem.--Been there many times, done that many times. jeri

Hi Pam

I only have what came with my machine and since i am very satisfied with that, i have not looked into other systems. Even if this new system attaches to our excisting straps, you will need something to hold the straps up. Try it, you'll see how they are held up. If you don't hold the straps up, you will get a hitch in your giddy up when you get close to them. Clear as mud?

I bought a set from the company Cheryl mentioned at MQS - They are pretty great. They are a thin plastic thing...you take your straps off that came with the machine and put the new straps on. You can then use your yard sticks to measure....the yard :P They really are nice, no more bumping into your clamps. They cost $19.00 for a set of 2...since I have a Millie, I need 2 sets...I only bought one because I am a cheap skate...I need to get the other two.

I sometimes use two strips of muslin about 1 1/2 inches wide for each side. I pin them on to the backing then wrap them around the pole and pin again. It helps when the backing isn't quite wide enough. It doesn't cost much. I have a friend who had a q-snap frame. She drilled a hole in each end and ran a long wire tie (I think that is what they are called at the hardware store)through the two holes and created a loop. She can attach her clamps to the wire ties then use the q-snap to snap on the side of the quilt. Did that make sense?

Cheryl

Ladies,

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they look like and maybe I will understand.

I have an ULT II. I do not use a yard stick, I just put the clamp on and adjust the velcro.

It sounds like I am missing a step.

Not to worry, I am going to a workshop to learn how to use this machine and get the quilting started and finished.

Pam

Archived