First quilts

Kelly Sue, that's not even funny. Go away, LOL! :D No! That's gorgeous! First quilt! Man, you did GREAT on that. Beautiful. Bet your BIL LOVES you like a sis!

Barbara, 50 pieces in each block! Oi! I'd have never finished it. Congratulations on doing something so ambitious and actually getting it done, as a first quilt.

Cathey, what precious children!! The quilt's great too, LOL! First quilt - another Oi! so beautiful! C'mon, finish that luscious thing!

Carol, what a beautiful life quilting story! and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, you're another year old today!" as Sheriff John would sing in the old days (well, old days for me, LOL!). How wonderful that you can give your children and grandchildren what your mom and grandma gave you. Wow. :)

Shana, you are amazing. So many quilts in so little time! I"m so glad your MIL got you addicted to quilting. What would this board be without a monkey hanging around, eh? You're so funny! :D

Phyllis, that is hilarious! I do the same thing, and have given away more fabric than I"d want to let on about. Get to work on those quilts in your head, don't let them stay there! We don't have x-ray vision or the Vulcan mind meld, LOL!

Linda R., you are so funny! We all have that first quilt that shows our beginners'..... wait, all? Anyway... mine sure shows my "didn't know any better". And what did you mean by that about the water color? I'd love to see a picture of that quilt. Can you post it?

Twenty years ago my mother and I took a day trip to Shipshewana (an Amish area in Indiana) and we both were totally blown away by the quilts! My mother said "sometime before I die it would be wonderful to have something that beautiful." Being a dutiful daughter, I thought "I can make one of those and make her wish come true." So I got Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt in a Day book and made her a quilt. I did everything wrong right down to using a sheet for the back, but I gave it to her for Christmas and she was absolutely thrilled, and said how much she loved it constantly! I have it back now and it holds a place of honor on a quilt rack. I've made many, many quilts since then, including several prize winners, but I think that quilt will always be my favorite!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

How fun!!1

I have a friend who has quilted for years and a group of ladies got together at our church every Monday night, quilted, ate, had devotions and a lot of fun. My friend said I should join and I had never quilted. She said they were about to start a mystery project and would I just quilt one item. She gave each of us a list of fabrics required, gave us the amount needed, and an idea of the colors you would want to buy. Then we all went shopping together to buy our fabrics and after we got them all purchased she gave us the pattern to show us what we were making. My first "quilt" was a table runner with a pieced pumpkin on each end. Stitch in the ditch to quilt and rolled my backing to the front to bind - I vowed I would NEVER EVER hand sew anything. That was awhile ago. Then my first real quilt after that was a king size rail fence for my "pseudo son" and his wife for their wedding. I hand bound it and have been hand binding ever since. Fun trip down memory lane. thanks.

I made my first quilt in 1978. The pattern was taken from a Better Homes and Garden Magazine. (aging myself....Ricky Tims says the average age of quilters is 59...I'm just shy of that). The quilt was originally a puffy quilt tied with yarn. I sewed in on my Singer 620 portable machine. Boy was that a job!! I re-quilted it two years ago on a rented LA for my granddaughter. (pic attached). (Now you know why I purchased my own). My how fabric colors changed!! The old side is kinda grungy compared to the new, bright backing. My granddaughter loves it.

post--13461898357083_thumb.jpg

My first quilt was called Streaks of Lightning. It was taught by Jane Best in Davis, CA. I made it while my daughter-in-law was still pregnant. The baby is 16 years old now. He brought the quilt top back a few years ago and asked me to put a new backing on it. He loved it. In the meantime I have made too many tops to count. I love the piecing part of it. I loved reading the responses from the two ladies Marion and Carol who are 76 and 75 respectively. I was sixty three when my husband bought me my longarm. He had sold his business and retired. He got a new watch and I got my Millie. Thank God he went back to work because now I am able to sew or quilt almost all day. He still likes to have the laundry done and food on the table for dinner, and the sinks scrubbed once in awhile, but even that does not interfere too much with the sewing. I just consider it my daytime job. I try to take a class a month and then do that quilt for the Wounded Warrior Center. This last months class however will see the quilt go to one of my nieces. Four more rows and that puppy will be queen size and ready to go on the Big Girl. I am going to try the Baptist Fan by Circle Lord. I am working my way up to the "Mental Challenge" of trying something new. I have all this new stuff and I am just looking at it. Wish me luck.

Beverly

The first quilt I ever tried was when I was about 6 or 7. My grandmother was a seamstress mainly for wedding parties, whenever we would spend the summer with her we would make our own clothes out of the scraps. Once there was some really 'pretty' scraps that were too small for a blouse, so I sewed them together to make a quilt for my favorite doll. The batting was actually some flannel type interlining from a wedding dress and the backing was a white satin.

Don't know what ever happened to that quilt...

My first real quilt was years later when my first son was born. (he is now 30) That quilt is now hanging on the wall of my soon to be born granddaughter's bedroom. It was a trip around the world done in pastel pinks and blues... in those days we never 'peaked' so all babies were a surprise!

My latest quilt is still on my frame, it is a going home quilt for my first grand child... hopefully I will get it finished before she makes her appearance.

My first quilt was about 25 years ago. A friend was pregnant and I started to machine applique a quilt with strawberries on it. I cut out fabric w/scissors on my kitchen floor measuring with a ruler as I went. Knowing what I know now and how far apart the ties were on it, I bet it didn't make it through one wash cycle. About 15 years ago I wanted to learn how to really quilt, so four wonderful women took me under there wing and took me to camp... I really wasn't sure what I'd gotten into as it took so long to cut all that fabric up just to sew it back together... ;)

Wow I will never forget my first quilt. My husband was laid off work and things were slow where I worked and I had several 2 yard pieces of cotton I had gotten at Ben Franklins(planning to make sundresses out of them.) One of my friends was taking a strip piecing class, I couldn't afford to take it but I offered to help her cut out her strips. So as a casual observer I took notes and went home and put together my own. It was beautiful browns corals tans. I loved that quilt. I gave it to my grandson. I think the quilt had memories of that winter, and the bounty of creativity and friends. It was an awesome time. Janey

i made my first quilt in 1976 it was a log cabin block which i found

in the mc calls magazine i used the old clothes that my kids had

out grown. i gave it to one of them , i think they still have it.

they used it for everything. a tent , a superman cape. an oil cloth

under a motorcycle. ( i rescued it and got most of the oil stains out)

i returned it back to them years later. it went to football games and

picnics. carol

I have enjoyed this thread so much. What a group of quilters we are.

One thing we have in common besides quilting looks to me is a huge amount of caring for others. Most of us started out making something for others and here we are all these years later, still making for others.

Whoa Marion, it looks like we have been at this a while. I am wondering how many others are close to our age. Are we tough or what?

The dealer that sold us my machine, said that she had sold a long arm to a 86 yr old lady. Her husband had died and he had controled the money all through the marriage and she had wanted a longarm for a long time and now was able to get it. Do you suppose he was kicking and screaming while he watched. (just funning).

Happy Birthday, Shannon.

These are such wonderful stories. Maybe we should make a book.

Getting to know each other is so fantastic. How much alike we really are. How great is that?

I know I am some what of a lurker, but I really love you gals and reading your letters and learning so many great things from you.:cool:

My thanks to all

Carol J.

Archived