Glow in the dark thread

Hi!

My friend and I are about to start stitching on a quilt for her nephew, using Superior's NiteLite Extra Glow thread. I'm sure he will like it. We just did a few test stitches before quitting today, and all is going well. It doesn't seem to be a 'high maintenance' thread at all. Phew!

My question is......in your experience....does it work better for the total effect if the stitch is a bit on the long side? short side? Or doesn't it matter?

I'm going to have to wait till dark to see how the test strip looks.

But I thought I would pick your brains, too.

Thanks.

:P

I've only used it as a medium to large meander....and I really liked it....however I did put a spider web looking thing in one corner.

If you are in a semi-dark room, just shut the lights off and it will start to glow....I found it didn't need to be pitch black to have it happen.

Linda and Bonnie:

I just got my order of "nite light" from Superior. I have a Halloween quilt that the has to have 5 large spider webs.

Did you use on the horizontal thread holders? Also very interested if you decided that stitch length made a difference in sewing and being able to see the glow.

Thanks

Sonja....

I have only done practice stitching so far, but I have used the vertical thread holder. My domestic came with a little plastic topper thing for spools and I have placed that on top of the spool. So far, so good. No uses. But we will be doing serious quilting later today or tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

I will say this...my tight little stitch-test meander looked pretty dense in the dark last night. Bonnie is right in saying that a medium to large density meander would be best. If we don't get to this today I will do more test stitching with varying lengths and density.

Stay tuned.

Linda & Sonja,

I don't have a stitch regulator on my longarm so what ya get is what you have....I have been quilting for sometime so I think I can safely say that I have it down to say a 12 to 14 on those that do have one..

I did use a horizontal spool holder. I felt that when it was on the back vertical spool holder it was to long of a pull into the needle and I was getting breakage...once I put the horizontial one on it stopped and all was well.

I quilted 2 twin sized quilts for my grandsons for christmas last year with the glow in the dark thread. I did a "bumper to bumper" design by Dave Hudson, 10 stitches per inch and a similar colored yellow thread for the bobbin. The glow thread is kinda pricey and I wanted it to go a long ways. Most people are only going to use one side of their quilt for display. The boys now have matching quilts for their red bunkbeds.

Archived