Help ! thread problems

I'm working on a quilt with warm & natural batting using superior thread , bottom line on top and bottom . The first thing I noticed wrong was a little loop on top so I tightend the tension a whole turn then the thread broke so I then loosened it by a half a turn still doing an occaisional loop on top , all the while I hear the needle going click click click . I did put on a new needle before I started . Any ideas ?

AB :(

If you are seeing a loop on the top of the quilt than you bobbin tension is too loose not the top tension. Tightening the top tension is what is causing your thread to break. Put the top tension back to where it was.

Then do the boobin drop test or better yet if you own a towa bobbin gauge use that to check your bobbin tension and tighten the bobbin tesion up some until the loop s disappear.

You might have your needle in backwards (or not far enough into the shaft) if you hear the click click click. The notch of the needle needs to be facing to the back. What I do is take my left fingers and push the needle as far up as I can and hold a straight pin with my right fingers and push it up into the needle bar as far as I can and then put the tip of the straight pin into the needle to adjust the eye just slightly past the 6:00 (6:35) position. Then I take my LONG HANDLED flathead screwdriver and tighten that screw in nice and tight.

What I have learned from the kind folks here on this forum is to adjust your bobbin tension first, using the drop test or towa gauge and after you have that set right then tweak your top tension. I use a piece of scrap fabric & batting to test my tension before starting to quilt. Little twists to the right or left to adjust the top until all lays nicely without pokies. Just keep tweaking the top tension until you get it right; don't be afraid to really turn that top tension forward or backward.

Originally posted by PattyJo

Joann - "Then do the boobin drop test "

OUCH - I was going to try it but figured it would hurt

LOL :P;)

Just had to give you a hard time. :)

OOOOPPPSS!!!! I need to get my eyes checked I noticed that all day I have been making some HUGE spelling typos!!, LOL, oh well never claimed to be an "A" student in school...remember my posts last week about music and high school? I forgot to mention that in some of my senior classes I would sit in the back ofsome of my classes drawing in my sketchbook :D This is why I had to marry a computer geek, computers was one of those classes, who would have thought back then that computers would have caught on as big as they did, LOL

Archived