Custom Price for Starry Nine-Patch

In the recent Connecting Threads catalog there is a quilt illustrated that is done with the Circle Lord. I have a customer that plans to make the quilt and would like it quilted just like in the catalog. It's called the Starry Nine-Patch Chain Kit and is designed by Darlene Jewell-Walhood. see www.connectingthreads.com

It's better seen in the catalog if you have it. My catalog has it on page 15.

What would you charge per inch for this? It's intense by my standards because of the stippling.

Wow, Kathy, that is a lot of stars. Of course, they will be easier and perfect using the CL.

For me, the stipple drives the price up, because it is so time-consuming. I don't know what prices are in MA but here in California, I would start at .022 per inch which is still not going to give you what it is worth, time-wise.

Let's heare from the other quilters and see if I'm even in the ballpark.

Kathy....

I checked out this quilt, in my book this is "CUSTOM" work, and in our area it would run you close to .03 a square inch. I don't know what prices are in your area, but it definitely falls in the CUSTOM category....

Happy Quilting....it's a real pretty quilt.

I begin my custom at 2.5 and that is for something pretty simple. This quilt does not look ver simple to me. You will need some special guides for the stars. You will also not be able to just do a circle as the circle would have to go thru those stars which means you will have to stop and start. You will also need some. This is not something that can easily be done freehand or with a stencil and your lazer light. Personaly I would charge more like 5 cents per inch and if she still wants it at that price I would get hte guides and arcs needed to do it.........................I would even go so far as trying to get the name of th quilter and ask how it was done. If you customer does not want to pay that price you would then be able to suggest a simpler variation at a lower price...................even leaving out those stars in the corner would help because then you could do a circle.

If you price you work to enable someones elses hobby you will be working for minimum wage as you said. I would try to figure a absolute min of 10 for myself as I am trying to establish myself. Once I have a better customer base I would be aiming at a min of 15 per hour or up.

A local friend who is a longarmer said if your prices are too low your customers will be happy to have you work yourself to death for peanuts.

Good morning Kathy - Yes, that quilt is awesome. By the way, it's on page 43 of the newest catalog. Right off the top of my head, I would say she used the Starz template the the Aztec template. Yes, it looks really striking but is so easy with the CL. Most of the time would be the stipple around the designs. The large star points in the background take a matter of about 1 minute to quilt. More time is needed to put the small stars in the proper place. Just find the center of where you want the star and put one in about 30 seconds. Really, it's not so bad but looks amazing and you can charge a lot of money. Again, leave it to CL to make everything that looks complicated sooooo easy and fast. You just don't have to tell your customers.

By the way, when you set the CL up for the large star outline, you are already set up for the smaller one inside it. You can take the Aztec off and put the Starz on and just put the 5 pointed star in the center also. So, there is only one set up for the 3 stars. Yes, the corners have to be set up seperately.. I think it would be fun to do. Not affil. I couldn't do half my work without the CL.

Archived