carriage catching on table

bobbi

I put this in my tension question problem too.... (I've been reading all those posts too!)

Right in the middle of my table where the plexiglas is attached to the rail with the metal bars, my machine catches. It won't slide easily over that area making my circles flat. How do I correct this? Is there a way to adjust the height of the carriage over that area?

I've tried to shave a bit of the metal off (not the aluminum rails) to no avail. I have waxed and used silicone spray. (all my shirts now have a nice gray/black area right at the belly!)

I have been reading as many posts as I can to see if anyone else has had this problem... HELP!

Bobbi Brady

thebunch47@yahoo.com

Bobbi - I had the same problem on my table. I fixed it putting a piece of wood under the middle of the table just like an extra leg. I put it under the big round piece across the middle where the plastic pieces meet. My table was sagging just a bit I guess. Anyway, this took care of my problem. Good luck

Hi Bobette

Is the lexan turned up a bit at the edge and thats whats catching? You can take it off and swap it over (the piece on the left of the table put on the right side, and the right on the left).

Hi Carol,

If your table is sagging in the middle, just raise the tension bolts in centre of the table - by doing this you can make very tiny adjustments to each side and get it perfectly level. Love your patterns Carol.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Thanks Sue and Carol...

The (lexan/plexiglass) has a metal piece attached to it that is held there by a magnet which is on the aluminum rails... (the inside part) I just figured out that it catches when I bring the carriage back almost to the take-up roller. It hangs there and messes up my nice round stitching... I have my speed set at 4, and some of the stitches look to be about 9-10 per inch, and some 5 per inch. I have been practicing moving the machine in a nice controlled movement so my stitches would be consistant. I do not have a stitch regulator.

NEW PROBLEM!

I thought I could at least practice again with the tensions and try all the ideas everyone has... but now the top thread is getting caught in the "hook". it somehow gets wound around the center post that holds the bobbin case and when the needle comes back up, the thread is stuck. I cleaned it, blew it out, siliconed it, took the plate (under the needle) off and blew that out and siliconed it. To no avail! This was supposed to be sooooo easy! hmmmmm....

any hints on this one?

Ps... Sue - you must be awake allll the time! You are much appreciated!

Bobbi Brady

thebunch47@yahoo.com;)

Shana!

Thanks again, I did try the ol' needle adjustment and it worked! There are sooooo many things to remember - it's great to have these forums to help!

I got another row done, and the back looks much better, just a few eyelashes this time... good thing it's a practice quilt! I increased the motor speed, and tried to be more consistant with my movement. I still have the hang up in the middle of the table... need to know if I can adjust the height of the carriage..... anyone?

thanks again!

Bobbi

Hi Bobbi

No definitely don't try to adjust the height of your carriage - at least not until you have spoken with Mark or Amy.

Just swap the lexans over so that the section which is catching is on the outer edge of the table that is assuming that both edges of each lexan are not tilted up.

Bobbi, I'm sleeping when you are all awake!

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Ok, so here's what I did....

I spent the better part of the evening cleaning the wheels on my used machine.... didn't realize how much stuff was in them! (lots 'n lots of thread!) Then I tried to put them back on, gave up after about an hour and 1/2.... (I can't sit on the floor that long!)

Got up this morning and they went right on! I had put a washer on so it has taken care of my carriage problem... My Ulti just glides back and forth and to the front and back soooo easily! I checked the level, and it is level, the table is straight, so now just pray my tension will be good!

Thanks to each of you who gave me help! And remember if it doesn't work out right away, sleep on it and it will be fine!!!!

Bobbi:P

Bobbi,

I see you have a web domain (bobbettes.com) so all you need to do is drag a jpg file of your photo into one of your web site's folders. Migrate your web site so the photo is activated (the photo does not need to show up on your web page...just the file needs to be there) Then go into your APQS profile and copy/paste the photo's web address to link it into the field for the APQS avatar. That is what I did. And it worked.

Hi Bobbi

I just thought about your post - I didn't realise you have an older machine so now I understand what you mean with the metal bars on the lexan - duh! They did sometimes turn up at the ends. The metal was for the channel locks.

I also think that those carriages had spacer washers or a collar but I don't remember how many. It doesn't really matter so long as you have equal numbers on each wheel. Sounds like you might have the older style wheels too - perhaps without the adjusting cams.

Glad you got it all worked out.

Best wishes

Sue

Archived