Pricing

If your overall freehand designs are similar in density of stitching to a medium panto design, charging one and a half cents a square inch is normal for my area.

Queen size--maybe 80x90=7200 sq. inches times.015 equals $108.00. Charge more for denser stitching, but I wouldn't charge any less than that not matter what. Your market may be different depending on competition but you get to decide what to charge in any case.

Good luck and our rallying cry around here seems to be "Don't give it away!!!" meaning, do not undervalue your time and talent.

You can always do some research by surfing the internet. Google machine quilting and see what others are charging. Call some of your local quilters and ask them what they charge.

For the longest time I was charging a penny/sq in. One of the local quilters pulled me aside and asked what I was charging and I told her and she told me the going rate locally was penny and a half. So in January I raised my prices.

We don't want to give away our hard work....on the other hand, you don't want to price yourself right out of the market. Do your homework, find out what they are changing in your area.

I recommend getting Cindy Roth's booklet about "pricing and are you charging enough" She compiled various articles she wrote on the subject and I believe she only charges $8 - 10. I have found it so helpful.

www.longarmuniversity.com

It helps you see what you need to charge to cover your costs in a realistic way and then decide, yourself, what you want to make an hour.:)

HTH

Archived