I need some help . . .

I am working on a quilt that has a staggered bottom like a staircase. In other words, one side measures 60" and the other side measurers 45" and there are five 3" steps across the bottom. The pattern calls for sewing the front and back of the quilt, along with the batting, (right sides together) and then turning it inside out so there is no binding. That would require that the actual quilting be done after the quilt is put together.

Problem: How would you load a finished quilt on a LA that has a staggered bottom?

I know I could ignore the pattern (the part about sewing it together before quilting) and float the top on a rectangler backing & batting. Then I could quilt it as desired and cut the steps after it is quilted.

Problem: How do I bind an inside corner?

I am open to suggestions for either of the possibilities but I don't want to quilt it on my regular sewing machine.

It is a fabulous pattern and I'm doing it with a black background and each of the 6 vertical rows has large triangles in colors of the rainbow. Example: Row 1 has 20 triangles, all in shades of red on black. Row 2 has 19 triangles, all in shades of orange on black. Row 3 has 18 triangles in shades of yellow, then green, blue and violet/purple. Across the bottom are staggered rows of beads.

The pattern is in Quilter's World, June 2005, page 78. I'm excited about the project and appreciate any ideas you might have to share.

Thank you for your help.

The solution to quilting either way would be to make sure the top is stable. If you want to sew the pieces together and turn the top, you could pin the top and bottom edges to the leaders. For the stairstep part, use strips of non-stretching fabric and pin from the quilt bottom to the leader to bridge the gap.

If you ever save the selvedges you trim off your fabric, those would be ideal to use. For extra stabilization, you could also use the strips to pin to the side of the quilt and wrap around the side uprights (where your clamps fasten) for extra secure fastening on the sides. I hope that all made sense.

As for quilting the traditional way, if you don't mind some hand sewing, you don't have to bind at all!

Traditional Welsh wholecloth quilts aren't bound. You trim both sides even and turn under a quarter inch of the top and backer and hand sew at the edge. That would be miles of sewing on that size quilt though!

I'm a newbie who has enjoyed this chat group for a while and I have learned (and laughed) a lot. What a great bunch of generous and gifted people. I've had my Millie since last summer and did my first customer quilts in January. What an adventure!

Linda Rech (yes, another Linda!)

APQS Millennium

Olympia,Wa

With a scallopped border, I have done this- quilt as you like and when off the machine, make a "facing" as deep as the deepest "dip" in the edge. Hem the facing along one long edge, blind or rolled, and then sew on to the top right sides together. Trim and "flip" just the facing. You will not see quilting on the back side of the edge, but it is probably the neatest way to finish.

We'd love to see it when complete!

Caron

Guest Linda S

That Cynthia! She's got some good ideas! :D Way to go Cynthia, that sounds like a good solution to the problem. You could pin the sides and it would be much easier to manage.

Linda

Archived