Chalk powder

Hey everybody, I just got back from AQS and I heard of a simple way to keep your chalk on longer. After stenciling or anything on quilt, stray with hairspray. It will stay on till you wipe it off. It may smell like hairspray but will not stain. !!!!!!!!!!!! The cheapest and simplest way to keep powder on quilt till wipe off. Nita

You can buy blacklight powder from www.lovetoquilt.com, Donita Reeves' site. She recommends mixing the powder 50/50 with white powder for economy- works just as well and lasts twice as long. I believe Columbia River quilting supply also carries the powder.

BEWARE!!! If you try the hairspray method test it with a Q- Tip the fabrics first. It can cause some dyes (darks and reds) to run especially if they have not been pre-washed.

Use Miricale Chalk or the similar one that you can now get with the Hancy pounce pads. Don't mix it with your regular white chalk as it won't work like it should (don't ask how I know grins). jeri

Guest Linda S

If you have a hard time finding a pounce pad, you can use the little foam brushes that you get at the hardware store. They work pretty well too. Actually, it's a litte easier to control the amount of chalk you get on the quilt with the brush.

Linda

For my blacklight powder I put mine in a pill bottle. I have plenty of those now!

First you cut off the bottom of the bottle and stretch a piece of terrycloth or old sock material across the hole. Then you can secure it with rubberbands or I like to wrap a pretty varigated thread around it to cover up the label.

The advantage of using a bottomless pill bottle is it is easy to refill and you have a good control of where your chalk goes on your stencil.

Store the bottle on its lid as not to have the chalk coming out when you don't want it to.

Archived