batting for wall hangings?

epprog

First of all, thank-you to all, you often make me laugh first thing in the morning, especially today! Notice I'm not mentioning any names?!!!

I want to know what batting you all use for wallhangings? In the past I have used cotton like 80/20 but I have read that some of you prefer using Thermore. I would like to know your opions and need to use the best product to get the wallhangings to hang nice and straight. Would this also be the batting that you would used for table runners?

Thanks for your help!

Cher

Cher...well at least in my own pea brain its whatever I feel like it or what I have on hand at the time in my scrap batting pile.... But honestly I guess the right answer or question would be:

What do you want it to look like?

How much dimention do you want it to have? The more fluff the thicker the dimention, so if you are looking for a very flat or simply no fluff, then your Thermore would be your answer. Even your thinnest cotton will have a slight dimention look.

How do you want it to hang? Some of the thinner battings just don't give the correct hanging look, I'm not sure how to get this across, other than when you look at it, it just doesn't look right.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way...just what makes you happy, but then I might not have run into the wallhanging police yet, and they might have a totally different answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank-you Bonnie for posting a reply. Since I am not one of the "popular" people on this post this didn\'t get on the regular daily questions so I double thank-you for answering!

I think, at least for now I will stay with my 80/20 for wall hangings but maybe in the future there will be more definite ideas on this. Have to go now and find enough batting to do the four customer wallhangings that are waiting for me!

By the way, love your dog! I wanted an Akita but we bought Siberian Huskies. They are gorgeous and sooooo loving. The picture of your husband and the dog reminds me of what a pansy our white male is. He does exactly that with my husband. Right now he is begging very quietly but very insistantly to go outside.

Thank-you again for your help and I enjoy all your posts and often just laugh and laugh. You in particular help me just get off to a great start most mornings!

Cher

Hi Cher,

The wallhangings I make I use cotton batt like Warm & Natural because it lays pretty flat. To me, poly batTs are poofy and don\'t lay so flat against the wall.

Have a super day and happy quilting!!!

Please share a photo of your wallhanging when done. :)

PS: I LOVE SIBERIAN HUSKIES! THEIR FACE MASKS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL AND THEY HAVE A TERRIFIC PERSONALITY.

Your buddy and pal, Shana

Hey there! Are we still talking batting for wall hangings or has this post come and gone? I have a customer who brings me a very stange batting for her art wallhangings but it does work well for needle and hanging. I think it\'s something called Thermal Lamb (?) I like Thermore from Hobbs. Anything that\'s not a puffy poly probably will work fine but it depends on the amount of quilting. I do like the new Hobbs Silk batting and have done one gorgeous wallhanging with it. But I did quite a bit of background quilting and then steamed the quilt flat when it was done. Hangs beautifully. The Silk can be quilted almost as if you are sculpting! It\'s luscious.

Back to work...

Bonnie is right. The answer to your question is what do you want your quilt to look like when it is hanging. Is it going to be heavily quilted? Do you want definition to the quilting from the loft?

The same consideration needs to be taken when quilting a bed quilt. If you have a 30\'s reproduction quilt and want it quilted in 30\'s style and look like a 30\'s quilt...you are going to use a very flat batt. But if you don\'t care and want loft then your choice of batt will be different.

Cheryl

• 12 years later...

Archived