Pantos from the front

A while ago there was a thread about finding a way to do pantos from the freehand side. Sometimes it takes a while to dream up something and here is a solution that I finally came up with-----

Most people stitch pantos from right to left. On the right side of the machine, down on the level of the bars, install a metal spindle that can be opened to accept a panto roll. The panto end will be fastened to a set of stationary clamps like binder clips with the ends held over to the right. Set the laser so it points down and to the right. Stitch and move to the left and the panto will unroll as you move the machine. You will need to stop and put a yardstick or two under the panto to support it as it unrolls or it may sag down. Also, something will need to be placed on the panto to help it feed evenly so it doesn't pop open and unroll all at once.

Does this sound like it will work? My DH is a mechanical engineer and I will pick his brain tonight to see what he can come up with.

So, we need an even-feed system for the panto, a support system for the panto, and an openable bar to hold the panto. You now have homework!!!

Oops---brain f*rt!!!! When you move the machine to stitch, the panto will move back and forth too!!! Yikes! So, we need a way to have the panto unroll smoothly and stay in the same position vertically as you stitch. Sounds like a job for "Super Dennis", my brilliant DH! Maybe we can somehow find a way to connect the panto bar to the horizontal carriage. Hummmm----I\'ll get back to you!

I have a New Joy frame (while I\'m saving for my LA) and with this set up you can do pantos from the front..except they have to be very small pantos. I really like being at the front, in fact with this set up, you can\'t work from the back. There is a shelf over the bars that the panto lays on and I just follow along with my laser light, moving from left to right. I do have to change the direction of the arrows on the pantos, or I get mixed up, as they always go from right to left.

With this I can avoid the very thick seams and can guide the fabric better with my left hand while I steer with my right.

It would be nice to be able to do pantos from the front of a LA.

Archived