Breast Cancer Quilt Raffle made $1,000 (pic)

I formed a quilt group at my office about three years ago. Our focus has been to piece baby quilts for charity. Twenty of us designed and pieced this queen-sized quilt to support the breast cancer survivors group at work. I quilted it. I am so thrilled that the quilt received over $1,000 is contributions.

I chose Deb Geisler’s (https://www.debrageissler.com) Maggies Roses E2E and border and Joanne Hoffman’s (http://www.compuquilterdesigns.com/joann.htm) Sashings and Borders 3 (cable) design to get it done quickly. I only had 2 weeks to get it completed before the raffle started and only had the weekends due to my full-time hectic work schedule.

This was my very first “big” quilt since purchasing my Millie and CQ. I must say, I was nervous since it would be viewed by all my co=workers. It took me a total of 20 hours to get it completed. I can’t imagine how long it would have taken if I had done it all freehand. The rose pattern is fairly dense. It took 20 minutes to quilt from one end to the other.

I used Karen McTavish’s favorite Airtex high-loft batting (I had on hand from MQS) along with the Airtex 50/50 wool/cotton blend (also purchased at MQS). It is VERY soft. The blend made the roses pop. And that is what everyone commented on.

Well, the quilt turned out beautiful, despite my nerves. It was the talk of my location (@2800 telcommunication employees). We’re now talking about making a king-sized quilt to make money for our group’s quilt projects.

post--13461898715885_thumb.jpg

Oh that is wonderful! I love scrappy quilts and this one is so pretty. The rose motif you chose is perfect for this quilt. Isn\'t it wonderful when a group of people come together to make something like this and it achieves a level that higher than ever was dreamed? I think this is referred to as synergy. YAAAY for Synergy! :)

Archived