what to do during interruption?

ncutt

I sewed out 2 of 7 rows and then had to go fix my DH his dinner. So I turned off the machine, came back and the next row was really WONKY ( I was doing spirals) so I rebooted the computer and everything was fine, again.

What do you do when you have to leave your machine for half an hour?:(

Norma,

When you say you turned your machine off, which component did you mean? If I am going to only be away from the machine for a short while or even several hours, I just leave everything on. If it is going to be longer, say overnight, I may only turn off the run/stop and motor switch....sometimes the millie too. I rarely shut down everything, unless I know it will be a day or two before I get back to it.

If you only turned off the millie, I would make sure that you "wake" the computer up from its standby mode before you turn back on the machine, sort of like when you turn it on, you have to wait for the CQ program to come up before you turn the power motor and switches on. It is probably not necessary, but that\'s how I do it.

Good luck and I\'m glad rebooting solved the problem.

Norma, You might set your computer to never hibernate... I did hear of a machine recently that started to sew as the computer "woke up" (like if a vibration caused the mouse to activate the screen) before the CQ program was fully active. I am assuming that this "coming out of hibernation" process can open up electrical connections before the CQ program is completely "awake". You should at least flip the CQ control panel toggle switches to off before leaving. I will turn off my Millie if I am going to be away for a bit because it only takes a couple seconds to be on the safe side.

Just wondering... Did you readjust the quilt top after you rebooted? I was curious if the tension on the leaders relaxed during the time you were away and this caused the pattern to be wonky after returning???

Tina, You are exactly right. Always wait to turn on your Millie until the CQ program is fully opened and active.

Norma,

I have that fear that the machine will start running by itself, so that\'s why I turn off the run/stop and motor switches. It won\'t go anywhere then! Also, you could just undo the cables and move the millie off the quilt. Your zero will be right where you left the cables. That way there\'s no risk of the machine putting holes in the quilt (or drops of oil either)

Tina, I make sure that CQ is fully out of hibernation before turning the millie back on. I\'m not sure if that is only required upon start up, I\'m just a bit cautious!

Wow...that does look very wonky - the large picture especially near the top and right! is it a CQ pattern...never had that happen..thank goodness?! It looks more like free-handed...

We always have to cut the Milli off, cut the box on the left off and then turn off the computer and re-boot when we return and repeat the process in reverse. Otherwise, the needle does start up on it\'s own if we just turn the motor off and the milli off.

I will try to take off the hibernation on the screen saver and see if this helps!

Thanks for the ideas!

Joanne Jones

Norma this happen to me once and it was because one of my locking Horizontal or Vertical Lights were on. Sounds like this could have happened. Your CQ will still try to run with one of these lights on. You can easily test this theory when you have a practice piece loaded.

Be sure to always check your machine lights from time to time. We do accidentally turn them on sometimes.

Also when your screen goes to sleep you simply begin and either finish your row out or abort and restart in the same location you abort as it brings your screen back into view. I always just finish the row out.

Tammie,

Thanks for reminding everyone to check and make sure the channel locks are off! I have had several people call me about patterns not sewing out correctly because they had a channel lock accidently engaged.

The last two lights on the right side of the left bank of lights are the channel locks... Be sure to routinely glance up and make sure these are not on before you sew. The CQ can override the channel locks, but the machine can not move smoothly, resulting in wonky sew outs and wheels with flat spots. Great tip Tammie!!!!:D

Archived