Sweatshirt Quilt ??

Has anyone ever made or quilted a sweatshirt quilt before? The girl I quilt with has lost both of her parents in the last 4 months and was going through their things and found some sweatshirts of theirs.

She even thought about making them ragtime and just quilting the single layer. We didn't know if backing would help or hinder this project.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Hi Mary Lou,

Here is a thought for the sweatshirts.

Since they are so thick already, cut all the squares out of the shirts as big as you can and of course, all the same size.

Lay one square face up and a second also face up with them overlapping about one inch. Sew the two together by running the stitching a half inch from the edge of the top square. (The stitching will leave a one half inch overlap to fringe on the top and an identical one half inch to fringe on the bottom.)

By stitching this together this way you can cut the edges to rag on top and also on the back. The quilt will only be one layer so it won\'t be too warm and it will be reversible--there will be all the logos on one side and the soft inside of the sweatshirts on the back. Then you won\'t need a fabric backer or any quilting.

I don\'t know if you will need a stabilizer for the stitching--depends on how stretchy the sweatshirts are, I guess. Quick and easy--not too warm and washable. Let us know what you decide to do.

MaryLou,

I have made some sweatshirt jackets with fabric stitched onto the sweatshirt. They are plenty warm. Batting may be too much. Flannel backing or even cotton backing would be fine. Since the shirts are woven, they might fringe/rag a little different from regular fabric. Were you thinking about lap quilts or a bed quilt?

Thanks for the ideas. I think she has a throw in mind if she has enough sweatshirts. May even incorporate flannel 4-patch. I really like the idea of the overlapping making a fringe on both sides. I suppose you could still quilt a design even if it is one layer if she really wants quilting on it.

Thanks again everyone,

Archived