Bobbin Poll - Prewound or Self-wound

Vicki,

I think most of us use both. The prewounds are nice and easy if the colors are right, but winding your own is certainly a necessity when using heavier threads even if the colors might match with a pre-wound. I have much better success with my tension if the thread weight is similar top and bottom.

My 2 cents!

Caron Carlson

Guest Linda S

I use both. Love the prewounds basically because I'm lazy! :P Plus, Superior threads has Bottom Line prewounds (BOBs) in lots of colors. I rarely use the same color thread top and bottom. It takes a little more attention to tension, but I like the result.

Linda

I use prewounds almost exclusively (Superior BOBs) ... cuz I'm allergic to nickel and these are on plastic!! When I need to wind a bobbin to really match top and bob, I just use the empty bobs.

I've also found the prewounds hold a lot more thread than when I wind them on my machine.

sammi

I wind my own. I start out winding about 10 bobbins and go from as the quilting progresses. I also check my tension the first one and about every 3-4 bobbin to see if it is the same. I finaly invested not long ago in a TWA bobbin tension guide and I really like it and it has paid for itself in decreasing the frustration of tension problems.

Originally posted by Short Pockets

Would someone please tell me which you prefer to use and why? Thanks!:)

Vicki

I have a bobbin winder, but have never tried using it...have

used the pre-wound in various colors...it comes in about a

dozen colors...I have noticed that it is a "lighter weight" than the top thread...any experience with a problem relating to that?

Also, top thread breaks pretty often..can't put my finger on why...help?

Well, I'm not an expert, but I do use an APQS Bobbin Case Tension Gauge $74.95 and have found it wonderful and eliminates the guess work. I used Superior's Bottom Line on a T shirt quilt (in the bobbin - it's a lighter weight than the top thread), and it worked absolutely great to help me feel confident in the bobbin tension! I put the self wound bobbin in the bobbin case and it goes onto the tension guage in a special slot and you pull the thread through a couple of wheels and it gauges the tension. Based on the number, you tighten or loosen the bobbin screw on the side of the bobbin case. The side of the box gives the tension guage number preferred. I just haven't tried any prewounds yet, and wanted to know if there was any advantage over what I had experienced so far with self wounds. I dedicated a bobbin case to the lighter thread and used two different bobbin cases depending on the thread weight I used in the bobbin. That was a time saver for me. Of course it was nice to use the lighter thread as it loaded more on the bobbin and I didn't have to change the bobbin so often. Sort of why I have been noting that comments that prewounds hold more = less changes = more time saved. Hmmm! But I do enjoy my thread winder - even taught my hubby and when he comes to my studio, it gives him something to do while we chat!;)

Course I also learned that it is really great to start on a sampler piece on the side and check stitch integrity/tension before starting on the quilt! Saved me a ton of frogging!:D

Vicki

It took awhile for me to get hooked but now I use pre-wound exclusively. They hold more thread, a handful of basic colors and neutrals match just about everything, once you get the tension right you rarely have any ptoblems, they work with all weights of top thread and I love the results on the quilts. My first choice are the ones sold by APQS, I think they are from Coats, and my 2nd choice are the ones from Superior. They have made my quilting life much easier.

Happy Quilting,

Archived