not happy

Just finished custom quilt ( took a long time)

But when finished

pokies on back where color thread was used

small eyelashes around curves where colored thread was used

Not on top just back, did finger nail test threw out quilting

never felt any thing.

Light color no problem

will try to add pic\'s

Any sugestions on how to avoid this problem again, or how to fix , would be appriciated.

Thank you

post--13461899034021_thumb.jpg

Usually when this happens, I find it\'s a tension issue. Try a test by tightening the top tension a bit. I always recheck the bottom tension, but usually I find it\'s the top tension. I recently had the same problem on a customer quilt and no matter what I did, it didn\'t help much. The backing fabric was really thin. Maybe that had something to do with it. I tell my customers that the 1/4 inch edge and a little to the side (even if I have to slap a small piece of muslin over the patting) is my area to set the tension. I do a few small curves and a couple of sharp turns (points) and check the stitch quality before I start. Then I periodically check the back to make sure it\'s still okay while I\'m quilting. I have zippers so it\'s real easy to check. Hope this helps.:)

If you are getting eyelashes, then the top tension needs to be tightened. If the tension is correct, there will be a dot of the bobbin color on the top, and a dot of the needle color on the back. I do not recommend muslin or light backings and I usually match to bobbin color to the top thread color. Here\'s a link to some information from Superior thread. There is alot of good information on their website.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=100

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Well the EASIEST thing is to match the threads top and bottom (or like was said have thick batting, that\'s a great thing), but that isn\'t always the best option for the quilt.

I just did one for a customer this week w/dark red thread on top and varigated beige to brown on the back because that\'s what would look best. The top was dark colors and the back light, tightly woven (400 thread count) sheet. I allow sheets, I actually use them almost exclusively. Just not that high a thread count, so I didn\'t know what to expect and stayed w/the #4 needle, when I would have probably gone w/ a 3.5 w/different colors to avoid the specks you see of color thru the needle holes (make sense?).

Anyway I just kept tinkering w/it at the edge and kept the bobbin SO loose, 90- 100 on the Towa and tightened the top tension until I could see pokies from the bobbin then backed off a tad. It wasn\'t my favorite look, but the customer loved it and that\'s what decides it in the end I guess.

It can be done, it just takes patience and practice, and possibly adult beverages. Don\'t give up!

post--13461899036618_thumb.jpg

Archived