Begging for help!

I posted this several weeks ago when the quilt was under construction but now it's done and I am ready to go. I am stumped on what to do in the big green and white border area and the white around the center compass. In all the other spikey areas I am going to do sort of a flamey spike and I am going to CC the lonestar. I could use suggestions and help on the following: The quilt is 82 by 82 inches

1. Do I SID all the big sections first and then start quilting from the top down? Or should I start in the middle and work my way out? )There are a few wavy issues which I hope to steam into submission first)

2. Ideas for the two above mentioned areas the border section and the center section

3. Thread color the fun part! Should I use a mono or would you change for each large section (thinking of green in lonestar)

4. Is there someway to "connect" the big gold squares to the white border area through quilting that will not disrupt it too much?

I know I am asking a lot of questions........but I could really use the help!

post--13461899071833_thumb.jpg

Hey! That is just gorgeous! Favorite color scheme of mine! Hmmm...this one is beyond my creativity level (and skill...), so I\'m anxious to see what others advise. I\'m always amazed at the variety of suggestions from this talented group of people.

Anita

Originally posted by annettequilts

1. Do I SID all the big sections first and then start quilting from the top down? Or should I start in the middle and work my way out? )There are a few wavy issues which I hope to steam into submission first)

2. Ideas for the two above mentioned areas the border section and the center section

3. Thread color the fun part! Should I use a mono or would you change for each large section (thinking of green in lonestar)

4. Is there someway to "connect" the big gold squares to the white border area through quilting that will not disrupt it too much?

I know I am asking a lot of questions........but I could really use the help!

First off is the quilt yours or a customers? If its yours and not worring about getting paid for all the extra goodies...I would go all out on this GORGEOUS quilt.

First I would SID all those areas first....mono or change threads your choice (don\'t ya love choices)

To answer 4)....I could take a thread that matched the gold area and go from the gold to and through the white area in a ray effect....you will get the effect of the rays in the gold area, but when it crosses the white it will snap as if the sun is shining and as sun shines the rays get brighter as it goes out from the sun.

And I agree that a CC in the star would be perfect.

And in the center center maybe start the rays so they look like the rays start there and go to the gold and white borders to make it look like the star is a cloud and the sun is shining in the center break in the cloud and then the rays shining behind and out through the others.

Annette, I personally think to much is when the quilt will stand up in the corner by itself because its to stiff. The more tight the background and the tons of mix and match backgrounds to me make things stiff.

In my opinion if one leaves open spaces, but all is held down it makes for a more inviting quilt regardless if its be a bed quilt or one to hang on the wall.

Remember that tiny background make a quilt pull up when washed (that is if you plan to ever wash it) so if you keep the quilt equal in quilting it will wash up nicely and not have bows and bends with the different quilting effect.

SO if you start out with tons of backgrounds and tiny stuff, I feel that you need to finish that way. Where if you use the rays and the CC and maybe a bit of smaller backgrounds things won\'t do that, and you will be happier in the long run.

The choices are the sky....as one piercer told me years ago...choose wisely and you will be happy with the out come, and I won\'t be sad I asked you to do my quilt. :P:P

I agree totally with Bonnie\'s mechanics. SID first to stabilize and to accentuate, like the center star. CC (continuous curve) the diamonds.

But I think that I would play up the contrast of the arcs and the spikes. I would carry that circular effect out beyond the sectional spikes and do a double arc maybe with pebbles or 8\'s inside the double lines then rays out. The border, I would CC the inward facing spikes and drag that line down to a wavy finish (to the edge) on those piano keys. And I think that I would have to trapunto that center star (Monopoly thread overlaid with the gold.

Warm up the ruler and get to work. :D

I hope you post a photo when you are done.

I would use gold thread throughout.

post--13461899072172_thumb.jpg

I think changing threads would be beautiful and I totally agree with Ms Bonnie about using a gold, I like a darker old gold rather than bright, and tying the gold together with the white part with the ray effect. GMTA! lol. I can only drool and imagine the stress and the immense satisfaction of working on such a gorgeous quilt. Can\'t wait to see finished pics.

Hi Annette,

I think we belong to 3 of the same message boards--and I know I answered you on the other one--but ....

Be very, very careful about your "order of operations" when you do this quilt. As I said on a previous message board, I did my SID at the end. I did NOT SID the border areas. If you do NOT SID the border areas--DO NOT SID first.

OK--I\'m being dramatic---:D--the world will not end if you have tucks in the back of your own quilt. If you SID in the center and go back up to more quilting--you may have problems--especially is you use a batting with a little poof in it. I quilted the large areas first and CC\'d the diamonds because that quilting was almost comparable in density, for the sake of stabilizing the quilt, that is. If you intend to only SID the middle and smaller spikes, and do that first, I\'m pretty sure that you will have troubles later. Then again---you may not be following my suggestions from the other message board---if not---ignore my babble on this one!

Good luck!

Jill Kerekes

Jill. Yes we are on the same boards (I think I have a minor addiction to them....)and thank you for answering me with such good advice.

I have never done a quilt quite like this and it was so much work that I don\'t want to ruin it with my quilting. I just do this for myself and some friends...I admire the nerve you all have to do as a business...I would be SO afraid of ruining their quilts.

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the advice on this one...I just couldn\'t figure out how to approach it - it will hang on a wall so a few tucks in the back would disappoint me but they wouldn\'t show....tucks in the front? I don\'t want that!!

I\'ll post it when I\'m done if it looks even halfway decent...thanks again!

Archived