quilt show judging

HELP! I am organizing a quilt show for my local artists' group. It is looking good so far, I have about 35 entries (almost none of which made the actual "deadline"). I am lining up some local artists to judge the show, since I hope all the quilters will actually have their work on display -- it's really NOT that big an island.

Most of these judges will know very little about quilting techniques. I seem to remember not long ago seeing an excellent article on what quilt show judges look for. I would like to give my judges a copy of this, but I can't find it. does anyone remember this, or better yet have a copy, or know of a website that covers this issue? The show is in 2 weeks. Thanks.

Good idea to give them pointers on what to look for. A few years back our guild considered getting a "celebrity" judge, such as the mayor. To me that would have been a mistake....I think a "lay" person would subconsciously choose a blue quilt if that\'s their favourite colour, you know what I mean?

You may also want to consider an out of towner..I have heard a story about a woman who was juding a show and would not even consider a quilt from a woman she hated!! I know this woman and she is a nasty sort..I did not know her then but I do tend to believe this one!!

Sewhappy

Well, see, that\'s the thing about out-of-towners; they all want travel expenses. We are a volunteer-run educational non-profit, my whole budget is $200, which would barely pay gas at today\'s rices to bring someone from the other side of the island. Thanks fort the generous offer though, Caron: I can\'t believe you\'d forgo the free pound of Kona coffee our judges will get! The people in this group are just too good! Seriously, thank you all for the great suggestions. Aloha, C

Archived