minkee

quiltingnanny

I love minkee and I love it even better when it is quilted because it shows the quilting so well. I would make sure you have enough on the sides because it is stretchy. However, this past week I made a throw for a customer with a stretchy pajama type material (peter rabbit) whole cloth top with minkee on the back with nothing extra on the edges and worked just fine.

The only time I don\'t like it is when I do binding and have to trim the quilt. That stuff makes a huge mess.

Enjoy!

Donna

Hi Glenda--

Minkee tips--

Load with the least stretchy vertically.

You may not need batting--that stuff is plenty warm without.

Pin the sides as straight as you can and in lots of places before you put on the clamps--it really stretches sideways and the pins will stabilize it.

It quilts up so pretty--when you are finished take a soft brush and brush along the quilting on the minkee side to fluff up and pull any extra minkee "hairs" that are caught in the stitching. Or throw in a warmish dryer to fluff.

I don\'t recommend this, but I helped a customer do a fold-to-the-front binding. She folded the minkee over, tucked under about a quarter of an inch, pinned the heck out of it, mitered the corners by clipping and folding, and top-stitched from the front with a big-bite blanket stitch. It looked great on both sides but was a big PITA to prep.

Hopefully some of this helps you!

Hmmm, she wants 80/20 but I don\'t have any so she will get 50/50.. She\'s from Chicago and I\'m guessing she wants warm. Hopefully I can get it on frame tomorrow afternoon. I\'ve got to get a puffy, floppy, big bra quilt done first. Of course the minkee arrives by mail AFTER I load the problem child. Bonnie, I\'ll certainly be using the BFSM on this one a LOT ! Not looking forward to problems with the minkee. Need to be done by Mon. Thanks, Glenda

Glenda, I just finished a quilt using Minkee on the back. It worked beautifully. I used Superior pink/brown varrigated cotton on the front and a poly bobbin. I loaded it with the selvage on the sides and the length was 72". I had fewer problems (none) than I have had w/some cotton backings. In the quilt center I used the heartstrings panto, a ribbon stitch on the sm border and art noveau (spelling) feathers on the outer border. I\'m too lazy tonight to attach a pix. Maybe I\'ll have time tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Archived