Square leaders?

Is there any way to resquare my leaders? They are clean and in good condition otherwise, but are out of shape from always putting the same size quilt on and then when I have to put on a larger one I end up with a sag in the middle especially in the backing fabric. Di

Here's something I do occasionally that helps: Unroll them a bit . . maybe 20" or so. Take one corner of one leader and pull outward for a few seconds. It's almost like when you tear fabric and you know it's straight on the grain but it's not really "straight" and you pull on the opposite ends to get it straight.

Does this make sense?

One of my leaders got really ouf of square so I took my Black & Decker laser tool and shot a straight line down the leader, marked that line and folded on the line. That squared it back up without having to take it off the machine. Now I just pin with the edge folded under.

Should have mentioned this in my last post.

When you're doing a large quilt (or even a small quilt) and you have to leave it for a few hours or overnight, let off on the tension on the rollers. Then, don't forget to put the tension back on them when you start quilting again!

I think this might help keep them from getting pulled towards the center.

I have an 'older woman' Ult II and when I got her the leaders were badly sagged. I also used the laser level to straighten them and now when I pin on the quilt, I tug hard on the outside corners of the leaders until they are even and then put a big safety pin in each corner to hold. My quilts roll evenly and the leaders don't sag:-) BTW, if anyone is looking for a machine don't bypass those previously owned, they are usually tweaked to perfection already.

Mary and Big Girl

Hi everyone

I no longer experience sagging of my canvas since I started winding the backing on looser (I don't attach my top to anything). In the first year or so of quilting I tightened the backing so that it was perfectly flat when I looked underneath, now I like to see a slight (that is very slight) dip in the backing.

Another way to test if there is enough give is to put your index finger under the backing and push it upwards, if you can grab the tip of your finger easily from above it is not too tight.

If you want to take your leaders off and are worried about getting them on in the same position (centred) you could place a piece of painters tape onto the roller at the edges of where the canvas finishes and replace the newly straightened canvas between the tapes.

When you take the leader off you might find that the edge stuck to the roller looks good enough to become your pinning edge now.

Hope this is helpful.

Sue in Australia

Archived