International Quilt Associations New Rules

I haven\'t seen any discussions here about the International Quilt Associations new guidelines and rules.

http://www.quilts.org/home.html

This new rule is going to greatly affect long arm quilters for hire, and quilts entered in shows---and also increase the sale of quilting systems---don\'t you think?:o

(plus confuse a lot of quilters with entries!)

Hi Sherry,

I don\'t know---(hallabaloo) I just noticed there are some concerns about this from two party quilters who enter shows---and also the trickle-down effect this will have for ALL judged quilt shows which may adopt these new IQA guidelines and standards as their criteria entries, and for judging.

It will be interesting to see what evolves with other quilt shows. I personally know a few "toppers" that enter the larger quilt shows with several quilts at a time that hire pros to do their quilts that are going to have some concerns about this. They don\'t quilt, but they piece beautifully---and are dependent on their long arm quilter to finish the quilts for show entry.

I\'m gathering you can still have two person quilts that are collaberated on for the catagory it belongs JUST NOT FOR HIRE QUILTS. Not really sure how they could police this rule but there it is. I mean when two people work together on something both parties contribute but Someone has to OWN the quilt. sometimes they trade out. I\'m quilting a quilt for someone and she is piecing one for me for instance. We are not exchanging anything but our quilting talent to each other and we are working together on the piecing and quilting designs. Having never entered I\'m not clear on rules and such between on the different shows. I don\'t fill me head up with such stuff. NO ROOM. lOLOLOL

Somewhere someone took the winnings and didn\'t share would be my guess. But it is just a guess.... I don\'t know anything!!!!

Not seeing a problem with the new rule but the fact that they eliminated the two person catagory makes me curious.

I\'m sure we don\'t know what we don\'t KNOW.

llolol They have been at this longer than myself so I\'ll just go with the flow. I\'m small time but maybe some of the experienced Quilt winners could share their thoughts on this especially if they too work with another person on the designing piecing and quilting.

I have too much to learn to compete with the quilters I\'ve seen winning the last few years. Not complaining at all. I have to work at it harder. Hollis the winner this past year is an example of someone I WILL NEVER be able to COMPETE with. Her quilts are stunningly beautiful but it isn\'t even a competition. I wish I had half her talent but I cannot compete with artists like her . I know I have limits to what I can do. I just have fun Doing it. I\'m going to be a STUDENT for a long while yet. lolol

Have a great Day,

Grammie Tammie

A little clarification here, please.....I want to get this right.

If I piece and quilt a top, and am a member, I can enter a quilt.

If I collaborate with a piecer (and do not charge for the quilting) and we both are members, we can enter a quilt with both names on the entry. (limited to two entries total per person)

But--a piecer cannot hire me to quilt her top and then enter it.

Does that look right?

I guess that is fair for everyone.

Interesting, though, is the fact that if someone wants to do a show quilt and doesn\'t have the skills for show-quality quilting, she will need to find a longarmer who will take the time to quilt it FOR FREE.

Hmmmmm. Maybe if the top could be used for promoting books, classes, tools, etc. That would work, I guess. That is a whole lotta work for the potential of a win at such a prestigious show. Very interesting dilemma.

So that gorgeous top we saw a couple of years ago here that was so beautifully appliqued (contracted somewhere in Asia) could not be entered in this show.

I don\'t know if this levels the field or not. The winners are Professionals with a capital P. Full-time, full-bore immersion quilters--they are published, give classes, hold workshops, appear on the few quilt shows we have left, and are super talented and driven--they must be!!

I\'m all for that, so I am wondering if this new limitation only spreads apart the division between those stratospheric pros and the ardent piecer who has one masterpiece/life\'s work in her that she wants the world to see. If she trusts and pays a longarmer to carefully finish her vision, why can\'t she have that option?

Just wondering....

Very interesting...When you first read the rules, I can see how it could be offensive to long armers for hire...but at a second glance it makes a lot of sense. Both parties share in the credit, glory and any award money. If someone pays me to do their quilt, then I feel like the quilt belongs to them and they get the credit. I really have no say in what they do with the quilt or if they credit my work. These quilt rules seem to make it fair to both parties with both contributors get credit...what a neat idea!!

The purchase of quilting machines will definitely increase whether or not from these new quilt rules or just as a growth of quilting. Many of the long armers who have been quilting for hire for years are already complaining about how many new long armers are on the scene now. As baby boomers retire and have time on their hands, they will buy more machines. The machines are also more attainable for two income families. I feel so blessed to be able to own a machine and it really offends me when I hear others act like I shouldn\'t have a right to own a machine or quilt for others. I have the same right that the seasoned long armers have in owning a long arm.

Now having said all that, I don\'t believe that every person who buys a long arm will go into business for others. In fact, a lot of those purchasing long arms just want to quilt quilts for their family. Those wanting to quilt for others for $$$ are probably a lot like me...we can\'t afford to pay for the machine straight out so we need a means to pay for our toy and maybe make a little extra income on the side. Then, of course, you have the professional long armers for hire...but the most successful ones on this site seem to do a lot more than just quilt for others including writing books, creating designs, promoting their classes, etc.

Times, they are a changing....

Although I think it would be very hard for the judges to know if a longarm quilter was hired, I do agree that this is a good thing for the longarm industry. There are many great quilt makers that have teamed up with great longarmers over the years and both take credit for the finished quilt, they both put both heart and soul into it hoping that it will be a big winner at a great show. This is team work this is what they want to see, all parties getting credit and winning equal money and awards. It also leaves rooms for those talented enough to both create the quilt top and quilt it, to stand out. Shows like this compete the best of the best each year and that means the most talented should win, not the one with the best longarm connections or the most money to spend on a really great longarmer... but maybe one willing to share the lime light with a really awesome longarmer LOL:P I think both longarmer and quilt top maker should always both be equally awarded both price and ribbons at any show so I think this is a good thing, it won\'t stop awesome quilter makers from teaming up with awesome quilters it will just give the quilter the same credit as the topper:cool: And for all those toppers who are awesome quilters as well sorry... they deserve to win for being the best of the best in all aspects of thier quilting skills.;) But that just my two cents...

This is interesting to me, because I had thought about possibly entering again this year at Innovations and possibly AQS, but had decided I would pay one of you gals or guys to quilt for me if I did. Under these new rules, I wouldn\'t be able to do that.

Unless somebody wanted to quilt for free, and I wouldn\'t want that. I know how much time and trouble it is to do really precise quilting.

But this rule change wouldn\' t affect someone like Marilyn would it?

Archived