A couple of questions

If you had to pay somebody to set up your quilting website for you, what $$ would you be willing to pay for initial setup, and then what $$ for monthly updates and maintenance? How many would be interested in something like that?

And, if there was an online auction site just for quilts, how many would be interested in listing? If you got to list one charity or raffle quilt free per year, how many would be interested?

What would you like to see in these two services?

Just thinking, need some input.:cool:

Websites can get pricey!! especially adding a store. Minimum of $600 per year plus another $500 per year if you are wanting someone to put about 40 hours into setting up an initial website for you....otherwise lots of personal time in maintaining one. Speaking of which...I think mine is broken so let me go fix it...:(

Good Luck!!!

Is it daemco that specializes in quilting websites? You may want to look them up. I think they did Superior Threads website and Homestead, yahoo and a couple of others are free for one month. Have an idea of what you want to do and play for one month on the different sites.

i think your questions are interesting. though i don\'t know anything about website hosting or maintenance, it would be nice to have a "quilts only" selling/auction site. i have an ebay acct and also an acct with etsy, but both of these have categories so broad that you either can\'t sell what you want, or you can\'t find what you want to buy. ebay is just way big. etsy is supposed to be "handmade crafts" only, but people always have to push the envelope and sell retail fabrics and stuff. i find this very frustrating! are you thinking of starting a site for strictly "handmade quilts"? you would have to specify that too, or you\'d get some bozo selling quilts made overseas for $30.

there are so many quilters out there that don\'t have the opportunity to sell their work at public shows or expos. but i know there are alot who have access to the web, a digital camera, and a pay pal acct. even some of the elderly ladies are pretty computer saavy, though they can\'t get out like they want to. for marketing purposes, i really think the web is just exploding with craft and handmade goods. it\'s such a good (and rather inexpensive in the long run) way to reach so many people, i mean, soooo many people! this is probably more that you were asking, but let me know if you decide to do something or need any other in-depth input! i have only logged on to these posts one other time, but happened to come upon your question and have given this some thought myself, though i lack the capital to go on this adventure!!

If we did this it would be like a juried show. You\'d have to have high enough quality stuff to be allowed to enter. You\'d be required to list what fabrics you used, what thread you used, how many hours of piecing and quilting time, etc. That should keep the rif-raff out.

Thanks for you comments. I know what you mean about ebay and etsy. I haven\'t had much luck either place, but think we might do better with an actual online quilt auction.

No definite plans yet, just spinning ideas in my head.

Hi! I\'m not sure if you are asking about websites because you are doing them and are looking to expand your business, or if you are looking for someone to do one for/with you. If it is the latter I am a web designer, and would be happy to give you some quotes if you were looking for someone along with some examples of my work :)

Susan in Melbourne, Australia

Very interesting idea you have spinning in your head Teresa. Always thinking aren\'t you.

Like jbeanier I have not had much luck if any at all with etsy. Haven\'t used E-bay for quilting stuff but I hear it isn\'t real great. For finished quilts anyway. Love to buy stuff though.

Hope to see what others think also.

Angela

Thanks to all of you who replied. Your input has been helpful.

To all of you offering to help me create a website, or those who gave me information about who to contact to get one done, I think you were the most helpful. It seems like the market is already pretty saturated with website designers. I was thinking along the lines of opening a host service where quilters could register with their own domain names (business name) and use a quilter friendly template to design their webpage; or I would do it for a fee.

It seems like this might not be a feasible idea. Too many easy to use page builder templates out there, some are just not very quilter friendly.

As with anything, it is a buyer beware market. It is true, the market is flooded with host and designers looking to make a quick buck and disappear. One of the best things you can do is to ask somebody you know who they use. Ask a few questions like what else does the designer do for a living? Good fulltime designers don\'t have time to work a regular job and kick out a website over a weekend. Are they available BY phone? Never ever loose control of your domain! Many unscrupulous designers will hold them for ransom. Do NOT go with those which use what are called cookie cutter templates, many of them will not work on other hosting servers. Don\'t be afraid to ask technical questions, if your question isn\'t answered demand and answer. Development and hosting is not rocket science & there are honest and ethical people available to help. A bit of research and shopping is your best bet. (Hint) Some of your best designers and host work from referal, so ask your friends!

Michael

www.think-computers.com

www.windriverdesigns.net

Idaho 208-610-8111

Out of Idaho 888-409-4678

Archived