Help needed quickly

I have a customer quilt which is the first one that I have done completely custom. I am very happy with the results, but have two blocks that I don\'t know what to do with. One is a dog, the other a cat. Each block is 12" sq and the pieced animal takes up most of the square. I know I will just do stippling in the background, but what do I do on the animals? They are too big to leave blank and I just don\'t have any ideas.

BTW the quilt is being delivered back to the customer this afternoon, which gives me about 3 hours to figure this out and get it done.

Sheila

Quilt the "fur". Stitch a McTavish-type curvey parallel line design on the dog from head to tail and the cat could have the same type of stitching except shorter and more jagged. Did that help or even make sense? If you are really down to the wire, do a close-together loop meander on both to differentiate them from the other stipple. If you have time to take a pic to post, yes, please!

I wasn\'t sure I knew what you meant by \'fur\', but got out my Karen McTavish book and wow, there are some examples in there that do look like fur!

I haven\'t done McTavishing in any form on a customer quilt yet, as I wasn\'t sure I was ready, but unless someone else chimes in with another idea, looks like this is the time I start. ;-)

Sheila

Chocoholic,

I agree, Linda\'s idea would really set the cat and dog off.

You really just want texture and the fur should go the natural direction. That is, the way it grows on the animal.

I once saw a fabulous quilt job on an ocean themed quilt except that the quilter had quilted the fish scales going in the wrong direction. :D

post--13461899246709_thumb.jpg

Well, I got a slight reprieve, as the customer can\'t meet until later this afternoon. ;-) I just practiced the technique you described and it doesn\'t look too bad. Actually, that\'s the MN in me talking, actually I should have said, it looks pretty good, not as good someone more experienced, but pretty good.

I can\'t believe I left these two blocks until last. I really didn\'t mean to, but they are towards the top and I skipped them as I didn\'t know what to do with them and figured I\'d get an inspiration before I was done. Well, last night, I got done, well, so I thought! Then as I was having my dh look at the quilt with me to see if I had missed anything, well, those two 12" blocks with no quilting sort of jumped out!

Thanks for your help guys.

Archived