HElp! pucker on back

Hi ladies,

am working on a donation quilt for mil for church and have tried to go with the advice not to have the layers too tight....while doing this, the back ended up with a small crease of fabric caught under the stitching...do i pull this out or just leave it....it is a big area to be pulled out.....and this quilt is supposed to be representative of my work...what to do???

Hi Denise,

If it was me, I would rip it out, because I wouldn\'t know what else to do. My rule is if it bothers me I rip it out, if it doesn\'t, I don\'t. It sounds like it might be noticeable so I would. Sorry it happened, but isn\'t that always the way when you are trying to do something for someone. Just leave it for an hour or so and go get the deed done. Good luck.

Becky

I once tried the not having the layers too tight bit on a white wholecoth show quilt and ended up with big tucks across the back of the quilt. (I don\'t do that anymore--I keep my quilts nicely snug now.) I couldn\'t bring myself to rip out multitudes of quilting. I sewed the tucks down with careful invisible stitches. It has been in multiple shows, won awards including one best of show, and not one judge ever commented on the tucks. They obviously weren\'t very noticeable, and they were big long tucks. I don\'t know what kind of backing you have used, but especially if you\'ve used a print, sew them closed and no one will ever notice. Of course, if you feel very uncomfortable with doing that, you could always rip out the quilting and stretch it more to try to get rid of the tucks while you requilt. But then you might have needle holes left in your quilt to get rid of. You\'ll have to look at your backing and see if you think you can close the tucks up so they will not be noticeable.

I would take it out, especially if you are trying to demonstrate your skills to potential markets, but I understand the case for letting it be and "blending" the backing tuck. You have to evaluate how closely it will be examined. I have left things in that were little creases when the back and conspired. I alsokeep my machine tighter than I was shown, and since I did, I have had sero tucks and creases. It doesn\'t have to be drum tight...

I hate frogging and have done very little, but I have a close friend who lives several states away who often comes to be a houseguest and quilting buddy, and I have had to help her frog. Last bout was after I ordered zippers, but hadn\'t installed them. We stayed up entirely too long with that mess and needless to say the zippers are good insurance. I hope I don\'t need them for frogging, but if I do, it beats the back-breaking method! I like being able to pin on my cuttuing table, and I like being able to interrupt a quilt to put a small piece on or perfect a PPP without manhandling the quilyt in progress.

Thank you for your replies! i did end up ripping it out with my DH\'s help and then realizing the sheet my mil gave me is not even so that is why it was so loose....had to stuff batting on the end roll to tighten the sheet up.....that works wonders but will definitely know to keep tighter for next quilt...have never had this happen before....and yes, it is supposed to represent my talent and of course is the most difficult and painful to do....murphy\'s law.....thanks for your comments..Denise

A suggestion I used once was to steam the area so it layed very flat and then hand stitch (applique) the pleat. It was a busy fabric so I could get away with it. It was also a good friends quilt so when I pointed it out (and you couldn\'t see it) she was really okay with it.

Archived