What my DH's addiction brought home- Antique Domestic Rotary machine

My dear hubby Norlan feels about auctions the way I feel about long arms. :P Or maybe me online groups. He has an addiction. I can\'t complain because my house has been furnished, my yard fenced, my fabric stash stored and a fraction of the normal cost because if it. Here\'s my latest perk of his addiction.

He was on his way home (works all week in New Mexico) last Thurs and called w/a happy lilt in his voice (the way I sound when at MQS). I knew what it meant. He was at an auction. And not just any auction a 3 day EVENT. The High Plains Journal newspaper had something to do w/ it I think. Any way. This is what he brought home for me.

$50

I\'ve tried to google it and I think it\'s a Domestic Rotary 153. Anyone know anything about these? It runs and the light even still works. Weird bobbin case though.

Seems to have the needle just the opposite of at Featherweight.

Has a similar case to the FW it\'s just bigger.

post--13461899338722_thumb.jpg

Tracye - What a find. I don\'t know anything about it, but it sure is cool. Some of the attachments are like ones that came from my DH\'s cousin along with my old Singer treddle machine circa 1920\'s. I\'ll be interested in learning what it is as well.

Tracye, I know tons about them. This is my first type of longarm, one of these stretched. They are the

same machine as a White Rotary. They are workhorses also but you can\'t get parts for them anymore.

I have some extra parts if you ever need them. I even have one machine left, I think I bought about

4 of them for parts to fix the stretched machines. I have a couple of bobbin cases and bobbins left over

also if you ever need them. If you need help just let me know.

Basically Singer and White had machines out and Singer won the battle. White, domestic, Kenmore etc all ended up using the basic singer parts.

Don\'t know if that helps much. I have the Domestic book around here somewhere if you need it I will

search next time I clean my sewing disaster.

Michele

Thanks for the offer Michele! I need to get a manual for it. I can\'t even tell how to thread it. Some time maybe you could post a pic of how they\'re threaded, that would be awesome.

Sheryl my DH thought the "pedal" was some kind of knee control but it doesn\'t seem to attatch to the machine anywhere. But looking at the picture it does have holes in it. It MIGHT be a knee controller. Too weird!

Thanks you guys for the info!

Michele you absolutely ROCK!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Sheri, that will make his day. He LOVES getting good deals at the auction. :D

Judi, what\'s funny is that for being a farmer / excellent mechanic and able to see how things work just by looking at them, he\'s never been around the inside of a sewing machine. I\'ve made him help me w/my longarm at times, and it\'s interesting to him but new.

When he bought me a FW for Christmas he poured over my Perfect Portable book. When the machine came he\'s the one that oiled it, ran it, then used dry silicon oil, polished the surface w/car wax!

I think he\'s starting to get into these old machines as he was doing the same to the Domestic last night.

These old machines are cool and so well made. It\'s been fun to get him interested in them. I\'m more likely to get more that way. :P since as we all know, you can\'t have too many sewing machines.

I got mine at a garage sale 20 years ago for $20. I had a new baby and wanted to do the whole "Suzy Homemaker" thing. Took a sewing class and started making clothes for my little guy and me. Realized that investing in a new machine would be worth it and now it is my nostalgic piece. Still runs great though.

Tracey, Guess what I got last night!!!! An old Kenmore sewing machine that someone just left on the street corner for the trash man!!!! A friend of mine knows I love sewing machines and he saw this one and picked it up. Cord is old and worn but the machine looks to be in great shape. I just love fun surprises.

Judi

WOW, I grew up in Anthony on the TX/NM border. I graduated from Anthony High, all 23 of us. Lived in Clint, worked in El Paso and White Sands Missile Range after I got married and then eventually moved to Boerne near San Antonio in the 80\'s after the big "D".

Take care and tell him to be safe. Judi

Archived