Clear thread on top/what on bottom?

I would like to do some practicing with the clear thread on top, and was wondering what should be used on the bobbin, and how tight you generally put the top tension thread using the clear.. Also, is it easy to use or does it behave like fishing line? Thanks alot, Denise:

Denise,

I use thread like this all the time. It really isn\'t hard to work with and can really help you out. I use Signature cottons in the bobbin because I use Signature cottons for all my customer quilts. You do have to fuss with your top tension a bit---but it is not a big deal at all. You will find that if you use the Smoke colored invisible threads(not really invisible) you will reduce the shine that sometimes comes with these threads.

Have fun!

Jill Kerekes

I\'m doing one like this right now. Clear Monopoly on top, prewounds in the bottom. So far, so good. But the top tension is not on at all, and I only put the thread through the top hole of the three hole thread guide above the tension disk. I also had to switch from a 3.5 to a 4.0 needle. Not sure why, but it\'s working now.

Denise,

You can use whatever you want in the bobbin.

In fact, if you\'re doing it to "just practice" then I\'d experiment with lots of different threads, including invisible thread in the bobbin.

Personally, I use invisible thread all the time. Sometimes it\'s in the top, sometimes the bobbin, and sometimes both places. Debbi\'s right about loosening the tension. You want that invisible thread to behave like normal thread instead of stretching as it passes through the tension disks and the needle.

If you use it in the bobbin, wind the bobbin only half full, loosening the tension on the winder as you wind the bobbin. Then also loosen the tension on the bobbin case. Test the thread by pulling on the tail after it exits the bobbin case, and then releasing the tail. The thread should not recoil like a spring, as if it had been stretched out.

Invisible thread is much finer than the "fishing line" that was invisible thread several years ago. Look for thread with a diameter of .004 in your local quilt shop.

Consider using invisible thread in the following situations:

[*] Stitching in the ditch when it isn\'t your forte

[*] Overall designs where the thread color would detract from the quilt instead of unifying it

[*] Stitching next to, over, in and around applique

[*] Quilting on hand or machine embroidery, including redwork, blanket stitching, cross stitching, etc.

[*] In the bobbin with metallic thread on top (it is just forgiving enough that it doesn\'t break the fragile thread as often)

[*] In the bobbin when tension is a concern (dark thread on top, but a light-colored quilt back may show the thread pokies)

Take a little extra time for your starts and stops, since the invisible thread is slippery. You may need to do a few strategic backstitches to help it "grab" to secure the stitches.

Finally, if you decide that you like using it in the bobbin when needed, consider buying a second bobbin case (they\'re under $10) and setting it specifically for invisible thread. Much easier than constantly changing the tension back and forth!

Experiment and have fun, Denise!

Well, thanks so much for all the replies and I have written down all the hints...thanks especially to Dawn for providing so much info.....I will have to get going on this practice after the king quilt is off my machine! thanks loads...Denise:cool:

Archived