Should I swap Millie 4 Liberty?

I\'m looking for your opinions on this:

I bought the biggest and best that I could which was a Millie on a 14ft table. However, I never do pantos or use channel locks and wonder if the big size reduces accuracy.

I mostly want to do smallish freehand stuff and noted that Sue Patten has one of these as she likes the size better. If I sold my machine could I keep my table and hartley? I don\'t know if the UK dealer does "trade-ins".

I would also like another table top large throat machine for bindings etc. I used to have a megaquilter which was handy but sold it when I got the Millie. George would be lovely but expensive (does he evn have a walking foot?) or what other basic workhorse would you suggest?

Thanks for your ideas,

LINZI x

Hi Linzi.

You would have to swap the legs for the Liberty table legs as they put the rails in closer together to accomodate the smaller throat space.

In my opinion, the weight of the millie is an advantage when you want to do intricate work. I have a millie and played on a Liberty this weekend, and it was not as comfortable for me. I felt like I had less control of the machine due to the lighter weight.

If you can test drive one, that would help you make your decision.

Patty

I own a Millie with a CQ and a Liberty. I like each of the machines for different reasons.

The Millie is a great machine for doing pantos, small motifs and large motifs that are more than 12 inches in size. I like the channel locks for doing piano key borders because it makes it faster and very accurate. My only negative on the Millie is the weight. Removing the lower thread cutter will decrease the weight of the machine by 2 lbs 12 oz (I weighed my thread cutter after removing it) Some people say the thread cutter balances the front of the machine...I am not sure if this is true because the head is the same as the Freedom (it doesn\'t have the thread cutter). Also, many say that having the edgerider wheels makes the machine glide more easily. If I could only afford one machine it would be either the Millie or the Freedom (I still think this machine moves more easily on the frame).

If I am doing alot of micro-stippling and very small detail over a long time frame, I like my Liberty. It is light, easy to move and I don\'t get as tired so quickly. What I don\'t like about the Liberty is the lack of quilting space and visibility. You really only have about 11 inches of quilting space so doing anything that is large takes a little more thought and planning. I do use my Liberty for most of my custom quilting because I can run a pantograph with the CQ at the same time.

When I finally quit quilting for others, I will consider selling my Liberty. First I will see how much I use it and if I am happy enough doing the detailed work on the Millie.

Good Luck with your decision.

Cheryl

Hi Linzi,

I sold my Millie for a Freedom because of the weight issue. Didn\'t want to give up the throat space though, and that\'s why I chose the Freedom. The Freedom was a very sweet machine, very light and responsive. I did miss my channel locks though, and traded up when the the new Millie\'s came out. The new Millie feels a little heavier, but is also very responsive....now that I\'ve had both, I think the Millie is a little easier for me to control because it is heavier. Finding the right machine is very subjective. Good luck deciding.

We have had an early Millennium (which I upgraded to the latest configuration), a Freedom, and a Liberty. We have since sold the Freedom and the Liberty and traded the old Millennium on a 2008 Millennium and purchased an additional 2008 Millennium.

We currently have 2, 2008 Millenniums one with the CompuQuilter/Touch Screen system.

We have had one client trade her Liberty head and legs for a Millennium. She was in the business and was not advised about the difference in the machines before she purchased it (not from us). this is one reason to work with your dealer and get the big picture and your dealer can help you according to your needs.

What to use is a matter of preference but you can get more quilting done with a Millennium than a Liberty. The Liberty would be an advantage if you have a physical issue with the larger machine.

The Liberty is light and moves like a dream but the small throat is an inconvience at times.

Most Liberty owners are very happy with their machine and most Millennium owners are also happy. People drive different cars for the same reasons, features that are important to them.

John

Archived