Basting/Pinning

Basting/ Pinning?

A bit of a newbie question here. Having read books and seen DVDs on the various ways to load a quilt, I noticed that some suggest one should actually pin baste a quilt when loaded, not just at the edges but over the entire quilting area. Is this really only for when the quilt has fullness or do some of you do this to all quilts?

Chris

Two answers here--

Pam Clarke (FLAQ--Famous LongArm Quilter!) quilts all her quilts completely pre-pinned--yes, all over! She has an assistant spread the tops/batting/backing just like the old days and safety-pin baste them. Then the tops are loaded with no "issues" concerning fullness, etc. Pam quilts away, I suppose removing the pins as she goes. Great if you are so busy you need an assistant--you spend your time only doing the "important stuff"!!

Second answer--

If you have loaded a top and see there are problem areas, by all means pin away! I pin lots. Sometimes as I progress down the quilt I will engage the horizontal locks and push the machine across a horizontal seam to check that things haven\'t shifted. If the seam is off a bit, I will pin it into place. Use pins with bright heads--flower-head or large glass-head pins so you can easily see them before you stitch over them. Control all problems with pins as you go and there will be no surprises when you get to the end.

I hope some of this helps!

Archived