SID Problems

I know you read the subject line and decided not to read the rest of this post ;) It's just a little problem I have encountered and I am wondering if anyone else has...

While trying my darnest to stitch a straight line - in the ditch - my Milli will act as if it has a mind of her own and take a stitch or two in the wrong direction. I usually stop and take out those stitches and start at that spot again. So I tried to "over power" her :P I thought she just needed a little direction. That is when I realized - I think - that my base expander might be grabbing a lose thread from the back of the quilt. Is that possible?? It feels like the edge of base unit has thread "caught" on it somehow and it won't let me go in the direction I want to go. Does that make sense? I use the thread cutter and sometimes my threads on the back are 3 or so inches long. This is just wild guessing, has anyone else experienced this problem?? What if I don't use the thread cutter - I know I have read some people don't use that feature - do you just break the thread?? If yes, then you must be very sure the stitching is secured. If you cut it with nippers that seems it would be time consuming. Can anyone help??

Thank you,

Mary

Hi,

Couple of questions: is your base securely attached and flat? Are you using the stitch regulator to do the SID?

Perhaps you are pressing too hard on the quilt with a ruler. I am wondering why you have loose thread on the back of the quilt? I use the cutter, will have sometimes a thread on the back, but it is not attached. Just comes right off and have never had it caught in anything.

Regardless if you use the cutter or not, you need to secure the stitches at the end. Either pull the bobbin thread up to the top and take a couple of security stitches or can pull the bobbin thread up to the top and thread onto a needle to bury between the quilt layers.

Hope this is some help.

Hi Mary,

Yes, I've had my machine "catch" on threads under the quilt, but that's usually when I've tied off and just dragged to the next starting place. Another way to clip those threads (I don't use my thread cutter because I don't want to have to go back and trim all those threads when I'm finished) is to stop, tack off however you like, then push the machine away from you about three inches, bring it back, lower the needle into the last stich hole and bring the bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt, clip it, and then if you want to, or need to, tie a square knot with both threads and bury them. A self-threading needle is handy for this.:)

I have had a similar thing happen to me. She "resisted" going in the direction I wanted and even "bounced" back. I discovered my cord had got caught between the rear wheel and the table.

I'm glad I figured it out. I was afraid to mention it because I thought people would think I was nuts when I said Millie had a mind of her own!! LOL:cool:

I also do not use the thread cutter- I do NOT want to have to spend any extra time on the back of the quilt. I pull up the bobbin thread to the top of the quilt and cut.

As far as the base "catching" on something.... I know exactly what you are talking about. If the base is not firmly seated (or if it does not fit exactly as it should), it will get "sidetracked" by thread strings and even seam allowances. Try to make sure that the base will move freely in your quilting area before SIDing by applying a slight pressure to the base top (as if you were holding a ruler) and moving it around..... If it snags in a certain place, look for the offending culprit. In the majority of my cases, it was the seam bulk that was catching (between the base and the pressure from holding my ruler down) and moving my base off my intended plotted course. I might add that my Hartley base does not fit snugly or lay evenly in the way it should. I try to make a very concerted effort NOT to exert any more pressure than absolutely necessary when holding my ruler. For what it is worth, I really like Donita's Ruler Mate base the best because it is extremely well-made, it fits very well, and has beveled edges.... Just my opinion...

Archived