CQ designs from One Song Needle Arts

sherryjack

One Song Needle Arts has a notice on their website that they are no longer doing CQ design conversions. I emailed my disappointment and received a quick reply. They hope to provide the designs through another company for Non-Statler systems. I hope so--their designs are beautiful. The DXF files are available, tho.

Sherry

Millie CQ

My friend Susan wrote to ask what was up. Her reply was that she runs the business herself and needs to streamline her work because she isn\'t getting everything done. She is talking with another company about selling her designs in CQ format. We just need to wait and see.

I know I love her designs and was upset to see she had pulled the CQ format. Her designs always stitch out great.

Cheryl

Originally posted by Stagecl

Joanne,

No, there are other things that need to be done to a DXF statler file before you can run it through the DXF to CQ program. It is not hard, just takes a little time. Or you can own Pro-Q and it will do the conversion for you.

Cheryl

I love these designs and I have many of them (from the dxf format) and not all of them will convert to the CQ format. I have brought the dxf into AutoSketch and stripped out the codes, then into the dxf to cq conversion program and sometimes you\'ll get jumps that aren\'t supposed to be there and you\'ll get strange jumps, and other problems. I have also brought the designs into Pro-Q and most of the time they will convert okay, but every now and then you\'ll get patterns that will have a problem. For instance, I had a set that I tried to convert several weeks ago and there are 4 files that no matter what I tried I could not get to convert without a line of stitches that weren\'t supposed to be there. The newer files with the cross hatching (all using jump stitches) have a problem when converted with either program - the cross hatching is supposed to sew last so you can manipulate the fabric to get them to align nicely but with both conversion methods, the cross hatching stitches out first the majority of the time. Also, you need to be aware of where the starts and stops are - they are not always where they were intended to be - most of the time this doesn\'t matter if you tie and bury your threads but really show up if you let the CQ do the anchor stitches.

Be aware that One Song Needle Arts does not support the designs if you buy the dxf files and try to convert them. You are on your own.

These designs have had problems with the command files from the start. Many of the designs that were available for CQ were taken directly from the dxf format into CQ’s conversion program (DXF to CQ) without the person knowing the consequence of doing that with a more complicated stitch path. As a result, these files frequently start in a location that is not what the digitizer originally intended as the start point, so you’ll have the knot (first vertex in the design) at something like the 2 o’clock position, highly visible at the tip of a design element. Separate from the decision to bury knots or not, the knot is in the wrong location as it relates to where the digitizer originally intended (in a less conspicuous place, like around the 6 o’clock position, in the “V” space where two design elements come together).

If you know what you are doing in AutoSketch, you can convert these files but they will frequently need additional work to them to honor the original stitch path. That way you will avoid jumps in places not intended by the designer/digitizer, and the pattern will run clockwise. There are editing procedures that can be done in AutoSketch that allow you to manipulate a design in any way necessary to re-assign the correct location of the starting point, orient the correct stitch path, and eliminate any extra jumps that were not originally intended. You have to know what you are doing. I have always recommended that my students who want One Song Needle Arts designs, purchase Statler dxf files and convert and edit as needed in AutoSKetch . . . . then bring a dxf file compliant for CompuQuilter into our conversion program. That way you can control the start point and the stitch path precisely. As we venture into more and more complex design concepts for computerized quilting, what I have said here will become increasingly evident and important to know.

Warm Regards,

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

Digitizing for CompuQuilter with AutoSketch

Book and online Lessons

cqdigi@charter.net

Grants Pass, Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

Since the last post to this topic we ( Digi-Tech - www.digitechpattterns.com ) have entered into a collaboration with One Song Needle arts to support their patterns in formats for CQ, Intelliquilter, & PC Quilter. The files will be package just as our other patterns are packaged & we will be testing every pattern on our CQ to make sure that everything is running well before loading the patterns to our website for purchase.

We hope to have some of One Song\'s patterns available within the week with more to come after MQS.

Archived