slit in quilt top

Okay, I am in a panic....I was frogging last night and somehow - when I was finished - l put a slit in a block, about 1 inch long - in the lower right hand corner of the quilt:o. I wanted to cry but knew that would do no good....I will talk to the customer about it, but how do I compensate for this. There is no way to quilt over it; it will have to be fixed somehow....the customer wanted to "help get my name out there" so she is entering this quilt in a show:(

Okay, the first thing is to relax. This happens to all of us quilters at one time or another.

First of all, ask your customer if they have any more fabric where you can replace that piece. That is usually the easiest way to fix the rip.

If not, and there is not a why to quilt over it, could you add some applique scattered over the quilt, covering up the rip.

It sounds like you have a nice customer if she wants to get your name out. You could consider giving her a discount for this quilt or offer her a discount on her next quilt.. Some LA's offer this discount and others do not.

Good luck

I completely echo what Charlene and Cheryl said.... and it really *does* happen to almost everyone of us who quilt for a living at one time or another! I have had it happen twice myself!! Both times, my customers were most understanding, and yes, they still continue to bring me their quilts! LOL!;)

I did give a generous discount each time, even though you could NOT tell where the fabric had been originally ripped-... One of them actually said I could rip and repair every quilt top she brought me IF she could get the discounted price all the time!!! LOL!!!:mad::P;)

It'll be alright.... really, it will! - Even though, I know it doesn't feel like it right now....

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. My customer is not only my customer, but also my CPA!! She is very nice and hopefully understanding. It just so happens that she made a pillow case to store the quilt in that is made from this fabric :) I'm glad to hear that this happens to all of us at some time in our careers...I think I would feel more comfortable offering her a discount, than trying to repair the block myself....I will call her and see what she wants to do. Thank you, thank you, you all are the greatest.

Archived