Trapunto..NEWBIE

liz2075

Hi I have been reading and reading! I have yet to start on this piece of fairly nice muslin I have on my LA. Why? Well I\'m missing a very important part. I bought the nice wash away thread that was recommended... The wonderful bobbin thread. Now, I\'m still not finding my answers to the very basics! Ok, I use invisible thread in the top. Yes I practiced. I got it to sew out well. I got the bobbin thread perfect. Now, when do I wash out? Before or after I quilt? If i wash before surely this bobbin thread can\'t hold the batting in place? Maybe this would be clearer if I just did it. OMG I\'m just too confused! I have thought ok I can just try it both ways. But right now my mother is actually helping me to load. And I don\'t want to ask her more than absolutely necessary as she\'s not so well. I can\'t use one shoulder! No, I\'m not waiting for it to heal. I have RA...it might not! I can do most of it perfectly. And I\'m sure I can even learn to load solo with practice. Oh someone please I beg LOL just explain this...A...B...C... Soon, I\'ll have zippers and all...but I\'m slowly learning...I can now use both hands so it\'s time to GO! I know I have to take it off to cut it. I have thought of just washing it then and reloading. But I\'m not really sure that\'s right. Next week I got zipper questions... or hopefully my favorite instruction site will tell that when she puts up her new how to load your quilt instructional video! Thanks so much I love you all!:)

Liz

liz, Don\'t wash out the washout thread until you\'ve cut away the batting, reloaded the quilt with backing and more batting (usually a thinner one that the first), stitched over those lines with regular thread and done the rest of the quilting. Then you can wash away the Vanish thread and only the regular thread will remain.

Hope this helps.

Debbie Cadwallender

NEW APQS representative

Perry(near Lansing), Michigan

Load the batting (no backer yet)

Stitch around the EDGES of where you want the trapunto to be. Don\'t stitch all the detail--like in and out on the feathers--that will be stitched on the second pass.

Use wash-away thread on top and a bobbin thread in the same color as your fabric.

After stitching around the trapunto, unload , sit down, and cut away the batting as close as you safely can to the stitching.

Load the backer and another layer of batting. Load the top. Stitch around the trapunto adding detail and stitching over the first threads.

After all stitching is done, the wash-away thread can be soaked out. Follow the manufacturer\'s instructions.

Trapunto is gorgeous and you will be proud of your work when you finish!

THANK-YOU! I absolutely understand both your answers . OH Thank you!!!! I will be working on this the first thing in morning now. It\'s so late and I know better than to start now! I\'ll probably toss now thinking and thinking LOL.

Thanks again and such quick replies!

Liz

Hi Liz:

Just one thing to add...most experts recommend that you do that close trimming (on the outside of your trapunto areas) with a ROUND TIPPED scissors. It is scary the first time because you sure do not want to cut into the quilt top by accident. I\'ve found it helpful to lay the quilt top out on a table and sort of lift the areas I\'m trying to cut away. And the biggest tip I\'ve got for trapunto is

DON\'T FORGET TO TAKE THE VANISH THREAD OFF THE MACHINE AND SWITCH TO REGULAR THREAD WHEN YOU\'RE READY TO BEGIN QUILTING AGAIN!

Enjoy! Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

I just read about not forgetting to take the vanish off! GUESS WHAT! I know I don\'t have to bother to tell you! I was doing a practice quilt. Not sure why it came to me! But omg if it had been a for real quilt I would have a hole above my LA!!! That\'s just too funny! And too normal for me!

Liz

Archived