Star quilt (cotton batting) - done

Hi everybody,

Remember, I asked your advise on using cotton batting?

Well, I finished quilting the top. I think it turned out pretty nicely although I must admit that I'm not impressed with the batting I was provided with. It's very thin stuff which does not provide the 3D look of the quilting that I very much like from thicker batting - but that's my personal opinion...

As always, the system doesn't allow me to attach pictures using the button - so I'll have to use two posts. Sorry.

Best, Birgit

post--13461897668453_thumb.jpg

I (amongst others) recently had the honor of quilting for Judy Martin and was given permission to give you all a sneak peek at ONE of the many quilts that will be in her new book. This quilt was named in honor of all those hero's that we have all come to love that have been saving our victims of Katrina. The quilt is called "Fanfare for the Hero's" Copyright Judy Martin, 2005. The piecing pattern for this quilt and many others will be in Judy Martin's book, Scraps, to be published early in 2006.

You can visit Judy's homepage at http://www.judymartin.com Drop her a note, I am sure she would love to hear your comments as well!

Enjoy the preview!

http://community.webshots.com/album/446763732GwuBmi

Sherry, that's one fabulous quilt! I love Judy Martin's patterns and your quilting just is the artistic icing on a wonderful cake. Why didin't you post your picture in a separate topic? Do you think people will find it in here?

It's good to see you on here again - I noticed that you changed (had to change) your user ID.

Thanks for your nice words regarding my quilting. For my standards, I have been quite busy since we have returned from our vacation. But my customers are very conservative when it comes to discussing quilting designs. It's mostly block-based designs that they request and "please don't do too much - I want the quilt to stay soft and fluffy".

So, I have to try the more fancy things on my own tops. But I trust that they will learn to become more courageous...

Birgit

Thaks a lot, Jean.

I used a template from Kerry Emmerson's Kaleidoscope collection. I had to reduce the size a bit to make the pattern fit the size of the star. Also, I had to modify it slightly as the pattern is designed for a Lemoyen star and this quilt has sawtooth stars. For the squares, I just took the original size pattern and only used the center portion forming the flower.

What was tedious were all those starts and stops that needed to be knotted and buried...

Birgit

Hello All

Sorry for the delay in my response! I went to a Keith Urban concert on Saturday with my kids and grandkids and was due home Sunday afternoon. Unfortunatly there was a horrific accident on the pass after the concert which resulted in the deaths of 3, 28 yo women traveling home after the concert. There was a freak rockslide that took thier precious lives and resulted in the closing of the west bound lanes. I am so very grateful that my dear friend Kaylen allowed us to all stay at her cabin the evening after the concert as we would have been in that area at the same time of the tragedy! WAY too close for comfort!

Sherry, that's one fabulous quilt! I love Judy Martin's patterns and your quilting just is the artistic icing on a wonderful cake. Why didin't you post your picture in a separate topic? Do you think people will find it in here?

Birgit, I seem to have lost allot of my normal privlidges on this site since I was forced to change my id to log in. Everything I knew here changed and it is always a challange to even log on! Basically, I took the easy way out and just replied to your topic. I hope you don't mind! I figured with your popularity, someone would see the photos!

Sherry - Love your Judy Martin quilt. Did you use the Circle Lord for the Star w/in a Star blocks. If so, how difficult was it to get the points to scallops to hit the edge of the inner star.

Kari

Thank you! I did not use the Circle Lord on this. I used the daisy templates that are available from Quilters Rule. I chose to work from the front on this quilt and happened to have these templates already in my stash.

Sherry, I'm so lucky to have you for my quilting hero!

Judy

You are much too kind!!!!! Thank you.

Archived