Ultimate I taking GIANT stitch

Grammie

Freehanding and I\'m getting the BIG stitch once and a while. It is almost 1 inch but I quilt at high speed and move smoothly but quickly.

Is this the timing? Can I get instructions on correcting it via email

quiltsbygrammie@hughes.net

Any ideas so I can correct it would be greatly appreciated.

I probly noticed because I\'m using a contracting thread on a solid fabric. It might have been doing this for a while just couldn\'t see it on the busy fabrics. I hope not.

Grammie,

I\'m not the mechanic in the bunch, but a giant stitch usually happens when you\'re experiencing extreme needle flexing from the rapid movement, particularly to the left and away from you (when standing on the freehand side of the machine.)

The fast quilting pulls the needle away from the hook, creating a gap. The result is a skipped stitch (or in this case, several.) Try switching to a 4.0 or 4.5 needle for your fast quilting to reduce the flex. In addition, double check the timing to make sure the needle and hook are "kissing" when the hook point passes behind the needle.

Finally, (and I hate to suggest it if you are a speed demon, but...) consider slowing down a bit to give the needle a chance to keep up with you :).

Hope one of these suggestions works.

Hi Tammie!!

I am with Dawn on this one too! She\'s the ultimate resource for quilting knowledge, isn\'t she???

I have found that if I get a bit erractic (I AM a "speed demon" freehander at times-LOL!!), especially with tightly woven fabrics like batiks or seam bulks, or adhesive bound appliques, I will experience severe needle deflection when I quilt fast as a wild cat. The reason it is more frequent when moving to the left or away from you is that the thread is being pulled in an opposite direction of the hook rotation (just like Dawn said, creating a gap) and this can cause skipped stitches.

Is your CQ on this machine?? You might try quilting in CQ at a slower speed to see if the problem is needle deflection, too fast movements, or (GOD FORBID>>>) the timing.

My best guess is needle deflection (for what that\'s worth...) ... I would try a larger needle first!! LOL!!!;) Let us know if this helps!!!

Thanks ladies for your help.

I finally have gotten it to stitch without the big STITCH.

Changed the needle again and I slowed down just a tad.

I just haven\'t managed to find my perfect speed with my Ult I. don\'t really like the dial on it from 0-10.

I am usually quilting freehand ETE at about 9 but would like to use my full speed. Why have the 10 if I cannot use it? I had to slow down but this BORES me when doing a simple ETE. If I do any faster I wouldn\'t have the pleasing stitch length I desire. I mean some people want to walk the Mall but I want to RUN the track if you know what I mean. lol

I had to slow my britches down. lol

As long as I can maintain a constant speed to keep a nice pleasing stitch I want to use the speed. It\'s necessary for tiny background work.

I must stay that I love this Ult I for freehand. I do want my husband to put me a new dial in the front of the machine though. I cannot get my MIlli to move so smoothly as my Ult I. I adjusted and measured and checked leveling until I finally just gave up. Honey is out of town so when he comes in he\'ll check it for me.

I am hoping to get more control with my Milli for more tedious work. I will rig it anyway I can to GET CONTROL. I need better control on tight work. I\'m not getting it as I want. I know there has to be a way to get the control I want. With control I will not need rulers as I can stitch my designs out if only I had that kind of control. It has to be possible. Also I am hoping to go to a much smaller needle for silk thread. I am asuuming I may need timing adjustments to go to a smaller needle? Any suggestions on that?

Again thanks so much.

PS. Dawn I had two of your classes this year in Kansas and I must say I found your classes just wonderful. Thanks for such great classes. Your a delightful Teacher.

Tina hopfully I will make a show where you will be and I can meet you finally.

BEWARE Children soon out of school. lol

Hugs Grammie

Archived